Hawaii Artificial Reef Organization???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptFlyingDutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this topic has been on SB alot, lets sink another ship.

I have called a few organization trying to figure out how to start. Main thing I got was, need to start some kind of Artificial Reef organization.

I am not sure if such an organization already exist? If not, we need to start one.

Now I am just a school teacher with no special contacts. But with help I think it can be done.

Does anyone know people from the Mauna Kea project or the push to get the Falls of Clyde sunk?

Lets stop talking and do some doing.

I was told that Southern Florida get about $2 billion for SPIEGEL GROVE, VANDENBERG, ORISKANY, and few others a year.

There are people and organization to sell it to the community and government, but local grass roots needs to start first.

E-mail Jack's Diving Locker. Several of the staff were on the committee to get the Mauna Kea sunk off Kona. No way it will happen here in Kona, though. It only took a very small handful of people freaking out about it "poisoning the local children" to put an end to some very hard work.

Hea divers....back in 01 tried to get the navy to sink a old LST (tank landing ship) on the EWA side...we started to get the ball rolling. the CO for the INACTS (in active ships) was a diver. and she was down. the thing was raising the $250,000.00 to clean the ship to coast guard standards for sinking at inshore waters. after deployment, seemed like people lost interest.
I'd like to rekindle this if we could get enough people on board...dive shops etc. PM me if interested. I got deployment coming in a few weeks so we can start planning.
laytah
steve

Great Idea, Tourism would be the likely place to go.

I doubt any dive shop would have half a million dollars to sink a ship. I doubt it would even be possible if multiple dive shops worked together and tried.

We'd need to come up with some good solid numbers for the tourism board, like accurate overall $$ volume generated by diving in the state and the numbers in Florida pre and post wreck sinking... the tourism board seems to be big on golf and beaches and scuba seems to be a non-thought.

Hopefully this concrete Z block issue in Maui won't sour the state on artificial reefs.

We'd need to come up with some good solid numbers for the tourism board, like accurate overall $$ volume generated by diving in the state and the numbers in Florida pre and post wreck sinking... the tourism board seems to be big on golf and beaches and scuba seems to be a non-thought.

I have been talking to gentlemen named Tim Weatherby, does this stuff on the mainland. But he cost money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom