Have you heard of this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you everyone for your promt responces. sorry if i have any grammatical errors but i am on my phone now. See im on on the forums on the go! :) Anyways just to clear a few things up. 1. i was padi certified and that is what my dad and brother are looking to do. I had a great experience with my 2 instructors and wouldnt do it with anyone else. My dad told the guy at the shop why cant you just photocopy thee questions . He proceeded to say no you need your own book. This is how it is set up. Theprice of the course includes the books and i cannot discount that price because you have books etc. "what if your son moves out you will not have any reference" Honestly i think its stupid that everyone needs a book. Dont you think My dad and brother can share my book?

Is there anything you would go back and say to the guy at the store because 70 bucks a peice is a lot of money! Thanks again everyone

AFAIK.There is a PADI guidline saying that every diver must own his/her own manual,UNLESS they are in the same family.Consulted some other instructors and they all agree.
Can't look it up at this moment thouhg.

I have no knowledge of the requirement for either SSI or YMCA. I am sure Jim Lap can provide input from a YMCA perspective.

As far as SSI, the questions are at the end of each chapter. You are encouraged to write the answers on these pages. Then at the end of the book are the actual answer pages where you are supposed to copy your answers. Then the answer pages are torn out and turned in. So if you were allowed to share the book, the second person would still have all of the answers filled in (assuming the original user wrote the answers in both spots)

AFAIK.There is a PADI guidline saying that every diver must own his/her own manual,UNLESS they are in the same family.Consulted some other instructors and they all agree.
Can't look it up at this moment thouhg.

And this is exactly the case here. What a dilema :shakehead:

To the best of my knowledge NAUI does not have the PADI requirement mentioned in a previous posting. NAUI does not require students to rip the quiz pages out of the textbook.

It is a common misconception even amongst PADI instructors that the standards requires instructors to 'rip out and retain' the knowledge review pages of the OW manual. This is simply not true. All that is required is that the instructor reviews any incorrect or missed questions, have students sign the knowledge review and document this in the training record form.

From page 1-4 of the PADI Inst Manual (OW Diver):

krstd.gif

What is true is that the instructor must retain the quizzes and exams.

It is a common misconception even amongst PADI instructors that the standards requires instructors to 'rip out and retain' the knowledge review pages of the OW manual. This is simply not true. All that is required is that the instructor reviews any incorrect or missed questions, have the students sign the knowledge review and document this in the training record form.

From page 1-4 of the PADI Inst Manual (OW Diver):

krstd.gif

What is true is that the instructor must retain the quizzes and exams.

That makes a lot more sense. During my NAUI Open Water course the instructor had the students write out the answers to the questions prior to coming to class. The students wrote out the answers on a separate sheet of paper. He then went over the questions with the students before having the students pass in their written answers.

I agree with you Walter. Generating revenue is the purpose behind making everyone buy their own book. Why does my family each have to have a newly purchased book? Revenue. That's the name of the game for lots.

Why does my family each have to have a newly purchased book?
I would think a recent edition would work, it would for me. Newly purchased is not a requirement of PADI, sounds like a dive shop rule to me.

Not that I look for places to defend PADI, the manual is supposed to be a future reference book for the certified diver, in their library. The instructor has no way of knowing a marriage will last forever; in a divorce who gets the manual? If your teenage kids get certified while still living at home, then go to college on the other side of the country from each other, which one takes the manual? Most certified diver should have their OW manual to refer to when they forget stuff.

That's what I'm warming up to with regard to eLearning; each student can access the on-line manual when they have questions (at least I hope so). To bad they won't let independents into their eWorld.

And just how many OW divers ever look at the manual again once they are certed. Unless thay are going for more certs (even then unlikely they'll look at it) or going pro I'd be willing to bet that many can't even tell you where that 80 dollar book and video are. The divorce(one person is more likely to get hit with it!), kids move for college( they won't need it they know everything), etc arguments don't really hold much water. I tell people if they think they'll need an extra one for one of those occaisions buy it off of ebay used. They are on there all the time and alot cheaper. Making a family buy more than say 2 books is just plain greedy. Even that is pushing it if it's say a dad, mom, and two kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom