Have you ever wondered why Scubapro still makes the Mk2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So hopefully this is not too much of a departure from this thread. I have several MK10's that I find are great for self-servicing and have worked since I bought my first one in '93 (from ice diving to warm tropical). I manage gear for myself and my two boys w/ backups. I see several MK2's on ebay. Are they as easy to service? This thread covers a lot of good - but why wouldn't you use one (outside any tech stuff - just normal recreational diving/nitrox)? I'm not a must have the next hot-ness, I like very reliable and easily serviceable gear. I rarely have need for anything more than primary/backup/inflator/spg. Thoughts?

So hopefully this is not too much of a departure from this thread. I have several MK10's that I find are great for self-servicing and have worked since I bought my first one in '93 (from ice diving to warm tropical). I manage gear for myself and my two boys w/ backups. I see several MK2's on ebay. Are they as easy to service? This thread covers a lot of good - but why wouldn't you use one (outside any tech stuff - just normal recreational diving/nitrox)? I'm not a must have the next hot-ness, I like very reliable and easily serviceable gear. I rarely have need for anything more than primary/backup/inflator/spg. Thoughts?
Crazy easy to service and very rugged, in about the time spent putting the HP o-ring in a MK10 body you can do a service on two MK2’s :wink:

Why doesn’t everyone use them, various reasons, others regs may perform better but marketing probably makes the biggest difference.

By the way, the thread is fairly pointless so it’s hard to stray.

There is the loss of the swivel function relative to the mk 10.
This falls into the category of a minor issue or not a problem at all depending on use and expectation.
I'm just going to get a right angle adapter for one of mine.

It's about the easiest reg to overhaul I've ever done. Real world recreational dive performance with a balanced 2nd stage compares favorably to MK14/MK15/MK20, meaning I can't tell the difference while diving.

For the deserted island use, would say the Sherwood Blizzard get the nod for being sealed?

(setting aside how we maintain our bicycle pump compressor)

For the deserted island use, would say the Sherwood Blizzard get the nod for being sealed?

(setting aside how we maintain our bicycle pump compressor)
Blizzard is extreme cold water. Probably intended to say Brut, the standard Sherwood rental and entry level regulator for decades.

Blizzard is extreme cold water. Probably intended to say Brut, the standard Sherwood rental and entry level regulator for decades.
Yes, Brut, sorry. I was quoting without checking. Plus they look to be dry sealed pistons, but seem balanced? I'm not familiar with them beyond sealed seems good for a deserted island, or a neglected gear bag. But they might not have the same internal simplicity as the Mk2.

Sherwood has used the Brut name forever, across multiple iterations, so there is no single answer to your question.

Historically they have made only one 1st stage at any point in time, with differentiation by 2nd stage. (although currently they have the 9000 series AND the SR2)

So, the current 9000 is dry and balanced. No longer includes a constantly fizzing dry bleed valve, the design now includes an internal Schrader valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom