Have you ever thought about taking a cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Port of Houston, and the Port of Galveston are really becoming important to the cruise industry.
I'm leaving on one from Galveston in January.

Here's the lastest news clip from Carnival Cruise Line

Carnival inaugurated its seven-day cruises from Galveston Sunday on the Elation. The ship will do year-round seven-day cruising from the Texas port and will call in Progreso and Cozumel, Mexico, and Belize City, Belize.

It's an inexpensive way to get a taste of some of the diving and see if you want to go back for more.

Cruises just never appealed to me. I know lots of people who take them and I love being on ships. I just prefer to be able to spend more time exploring the places they visit, getting to know the people there and their culture.

GratefulDiver once bubbled...
I just prefer to be able to spend more time exploring the places they visit, getting to know the people there and their culture.

But, as Natasha points out, it's a good way to figure out where you want to spend your future time exploring people and cultures.

I like cruises - everything'd taken care of, food's great and available anytime. However, diving on cruise lines is not always so good. One cruise I was on (Carnival out of Tampa) had expensive dive trips off the boat done with C-card holders and 'Discover Scuba' folks in the same groups. 30' max depth short dives with rookies that just learned how to breath from a tank. I've heard similar stories from others. I would definitely get an idea of what specifically is available before throwing down the cash...

I took one a few years back. It was fun and I think a good value but I don't think I'll go on another one.

I'm not much into the nite life and ended up just hanging out mostly in the library, on deck or watching movies in my cabin. I think they don't spend enough time in port, an afternoon here and an afternoon there and you have to worry about getting back on time. Lines to get off the boat lines to eat, line for this and that etc..etc..etc. I felt rushed and lacked personal space. Now a liveaboard where I'm diving may be one thing but just to be on a boat for the sake of being on a boat is another.

I would rather spend a bit more and stay in one place for a longer time. A place where if I want some peace and quite I can just get away from it all.

PurduEE once bubbled...

But, as Natasha points out, it's a good way to figure out where you want to spend your future time exploring people and cultures.

Agreed.

PurduEE once bubbled...

I like cruises - everything'd taken care of

Which strangely enough is exactly what I don't like about them. I like cooking my own food or discovering roadside dives where the locals hang. If you're just visiting an island for a day, you can't do that. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice meal in a restaurant and a frozen tropical drink as much as the next guy, but I guess I'm just looking for different things on a vacation. I also like to dive on my schedule, not a boats schedule.

Bob

GratefulDiver once bubbled...

I also like to dive on my schedule, not a boats schedule.
Bob

I'm all for that as well. Going on a cruise is fun for me, but I don't believe that a dive trip and a cruise are two things that go well together. At best, you'd probably get a quick single tank dive in before having to head back to the boat. I'd much rather head out in the morning, dive a couple of tanks, fall asleep after lunch and do a single tank in the evening off the beach.

Normally, I wouldn't have posted again in this thread, but I was at 99 posts, so I figured I'd go ahead and claim 100 with this post.

But I've never enjoyed being at the mercy of someone else's schedule. I'm not into the night life thing although I'd probably doa little dancing with the better half. I love to dive, and it would kill me to watch all that beautiful water go by without being able to jump in.

Buddy Dive in Bonaire comes to mind as one of the perfect places for a vacation. Kitchenettes in the rooms, breakfast included. Boat dives if you want 'em, great shore diving right there at the resort, and a rental vehicle to explore the other dive sites and terriffic restaurants.

Geekdiver is right on!!

If your going for the diving, a cruise ship ain't the venue. It would appear that the point Geekdiver was making is that if the boat is in port then the passengers are not spending their money on the CRUISE SHIP'S GROG! A significant cash flow aboard.

..get myself a maid and take her on a cruise!...

:band:

Not much into them. Have been on two big ships and a windjammer(long time ago). port calls are too rushed to do decent diving. Only one i would be interested in is Alaska cruise or one of those ships that goes to Antartica(beyond my budget) After last one my wife said no more cruises-too much food and little exercise.

Back
Top Bottom