Have you ever gone diving in an Aquarium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok...These don't technically qualify for this section. I was deciding where I should post this.....

I went on a dive in "Aquaria" in KLCC (Petronas Twin Towers) in Kuala Lumpur, malaysia. What an AWESOME experience! I am still new to diving and plan to get a Sea & Sea DX-1G soon. These pictures however were taken by my wife with my DSLR from the OTHER side of the GLASS. My good friends and in-laws were also there watching.

I must say, it was worth every cent. The management was very professional and the utmost care was taken to ensure there was as little stress on the aquatic life as possible. I felt like a celebrity too as everywhere I was, people would beckon me over and ask me to pose with them for a photo.....waving to the kids was half the fun (although I swear I believe quite a few of them were secretly hoping I got bitten by the sharks!)

Please don't flame me for those of you who disagree with aquariums and the like......I must say I too don't agree much with animals or fish in captivity....however, this was certainly a dive I had to do.

At times, I was less than 15cm away from the shark's teeth and got bumped more than once. Keep in mind that during the briefing and in the disclaimer, it was mentioned that the sharks would go for hands that waved around dramatically (like how new divers fail around) and they would also lunge for paniced divers heading for the surface. Incidents have happened.....

I have a few more if anyone really wants to see.....

Attachments

• DSC05025 [800x600].jpg
    DSC05025 [800x600].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC05030 [800x600].jpg
    DSC05030 [800x600].jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC05032 [800x600].jpg
    DSC05032 [800x600].jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC05038 [800x600].jpg
    DSC05038 [800x600].jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 190
Errr....I don't really know how to embed these pictures so you won't have to click on them to view the larger image....sorry

in sydney you can dive Manly Aquarium and its kinda fun to do.... was thinking of taking Almitychild there for Christmas

I'm from Perth but reside and work in Azerbaijan.....I have never been diving in Australia but am hoping to check it out soon. As far as aquarium diving goes though, its a guarantee to see big fish.....ensure good vis.....and to allow the whole family to participate. Great fun!

Honestly, for non divers, it is the best way to get an incredible experience. The Aquaria in Malaysia did a discover course for only $15 more than regular certified divers. Having said that, I would admit that it would be a pity if all newbie divers expected to see this kind of aquatic life in thier first few dives.....that would certainly be a letdown and a wrong way to get introduced to diving....I say this even though my first 30 dives took me to Florida, Sharm El Sheikh and various islands of Malaysia....

wooooow...nice.

I was recently invited but I am afraid of the cooties. I heard some of the aquarium divers have infections. I am really afraid of all that stuff...

THOSE are some cool pictures! thanks for sharing.

I like the asian man pointing thru the glass at mister toofy

I tried, but all the water spills out as soon as I get my head and shoulders into the tank. The little plastic plants also keep getting screwed up. :D

Man, how fun is that!

I am a volunteer at the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas. Until last month when the exhibit had a structural failure and it was decided to cut it down for a tidal touch pool rather then replace it, we had a 12,000 gal. "Flooded Amazon rainforest" exhibit that we did dive shows in.

we had a full faced mask with a mic in it and headphones so we could talk with the guests & a host thru a microphone on the outside. we did cleaning dives and feeding dives where we got to had feed 3 - 40lb. pacu's, related to piranhas but veggie eaters & 2 - 30lb armored catfish among the some 800 fish in the tank. really a lot of fun.

the Maui Ocean Center in Hawaii has a "tourist" dive if you will, that for a fee you get a backstage tour of the facilities and get to dive their large tank with the tiger shark, whoo hooo!!

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing. Now, I'm REALLY jealous... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom