Have a ball, a mantis shrimp ball.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Elusive, aggressive, and solitary, the stomatopod Hemisquilla ensigera californiensis is usually spotted while peaking its head out of a sandy burrow. Yesterday, I found this one in what appears to be in a defensive position. My guess is that either we clipped it with our anchor chain or it had been in a tussle with another mantis shrimp. You can easily find them in the sandy plains off the old Marineland site (now Terranea Resort), and the openings of their burrows are usually lined with shells.

Image taken from an article by Marc Srour:

After all this excitement, we motored to Honeymoon Cove to enjoy flat calm seas for a change. Phil found another little reef for us to explore, and I fooled around with camera settings.

In Honeymoon cove, many of the Norris topsnails are bottom-heavy with fouling organisms: barnacles, worms, tunicates, encrusting algae.

This is the first time either of us have seen a white-spotted rose anemone outside the Northern Channel Islands. Urticina lofotensis

Felimare porterae and Flabellina trilineata

Cuthona divae on hydroids

Unlike the other reef we dive at this spot, kelp rockfish predominate.

More on the mantis shrimp: Mantis Shrimp (Crustacea: Stomatopoda) | Teaching Biology

wow..cool stuff.....nice sharp photos...thanks for sharing.

Must have been Mantis Shrimp Day, yesterday. They were out in force at Catalina. Nice pics !

I spent 43 minutes with a male mantis shrimp out in the open a few years ago at Hen Rock on the island. It was in mating colors so it was probably looking for a mate and hopped up on hormones so it was not very cautious. Interesting that the mantis you saw curls up... I've seen lobsters do something very similar.

Beautiful!
Thanks for posting them, I needed it!

Gorgeous photos, as always, but I particularly like the lighting on the kelp pictures.

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing. I've still never seen one in the wild, but hopefully soon.
I'm guessing everyone has seen "The truth about the Mantis Shrimp" video, but just in case...I couldn't help myself.

[video=youtube;F5FEj9U-CJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FEj9U-CJM[/video]

Melissa

The mantis shrimp - the only thing on the planet Chuck Norris is afraid of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom