Spring has sprung, Fall has fell. It's the month of October and hotter than usual.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Santana winds have been blowing for the past few days. Normally that is great news for south facing beaches in Southern California. We headed for the south side of Palos Verdes this morning but the wind was blowing hard off Marineland. We turned around and found slightly calmer conditions at Honeymoon Cove.
I decided to finally check out the area we call Merry's Reef. It's similar to the rocky reef off Resort Point but there were more nudibranchs and anemones here. Merry found two White Spotted Rose anemones, Urticina lofotensis. I have never seen them near the mainland. They are common in the Channel Islands and Farnsworth Bank.
By the end of the dive the surface was calm and visibility had greatly improved. The water was 63°, about ten degrees warmer than we're used to here. Tomorrow is predicted to be nicer, so we'll try again.

MerrysReef6_zps0225db07.jpg

Octocoral, Alcyonium rudyi

MerrysReef7_zps0efccc80.jpg

Christmas Tree worm

MerrysReef3_zps943337d7.jpg

California scorpionfish, Scorpaena guttata

MerrysReef11_zpsbf99fb75.jpg

MerrysReef1_zps292184d1.jpg

Yellowfin fringehead, Neoclinus stephensae

MerrysReef4_zpse0f5dfea.jpg

Polycera tricolor

MerrysReef5_zpsc41c0148.jpg

Cuthona divae

MerrysReef8_zps93259581.jpg

San Diego dorids on a sponge

MerrysReef10_zpsa63e1e7d.jpg

Flabellina trilineata trying to outrun a Mexichromis porterae

MerrysReef12_zps5b1fd298.jpg

Cadlina limbaughorum

MerrysReef13_zps57e0f5db.jpg

Cadlina luteomarginata

MerrysReef14_zps901ad0ab.jpg

Triopha catalinae

Last edited:
Nice photos, what a variety of nudies.

What's your u/w camera system?

Also, you said that 63 F was about ten degrees warmer than usual. So typical SoCal temps are in the low 50's, even this time of year?

I'll be in San Diego Oct 18th, just anticipating what to bring.

I use a Nikon D700 with Ikelite DS-160 strobes. Palos Verdes temperatures rarely get into the 60s, but San Diego and Laguna Beach can reach the low 70s during the summer and early fall. It's usually comfortable in SD this time of year, but thermoclines occur that can drop temperatures into the low 50s and even high 40s at depth.

Hey, Phil... Sept and October can have some of our hottest days of the year! Sure glad the Santa Anas didn't reach out far enough to ruin our diving here on the island, although many classes were postponed at the dive park and a local dive boat went to the backside to dive in the shelter of the normally "windward" side.

Is your picture suggesting Mexichromis porterae eats other nudibranchs? If so, I wasn't aware of that (but I didn't know what they eat).

Thanks for the temperature information. From my perspective, Chicago/Lake Michigan, SoCal sort of looks like one area.

As to temperatures, we had a laugh once when a North Carolina wreck diver very seriously said that where he dove, you could hit the thermocline and be in 52 degree water. To Great Lakes wreck divers 52 degrees is the warm water above the thermocline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom