Hate paying airline add-on fees? This NYT article might change your mind.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rarely fly on domestic carriers. Foreign carriers are often far better in terms of service and I have yet to be nickel and dimed. I even get fed as part of the deal and the stewardesses are often worth the trip alone (sorry ladies, but I do appreciate beauty). The one domestic carrier I've traveled with several times in the past few years does charge me for checked baggage, but it is only $20 each way and so I carry my dive gear with me instead of renting it at the destination.

The news in the article is that Frontier Airlines is now charging a fee for carry-on suitcases, and the article argues that such a fee is fair and sensible.

Frontier has no less than EIGHT tiers of fee levels for just a carryon bag now.

CARRY ONs

At time of of initial travel purchase $25 Frontier's Discount Den members pay only $20

When Managing existing Reservations prior to travel$25

Frontier Reservations Call Centers — at time of initial travel purchase $25

During online check-in $30

Frontier Reservations Call Centers — when Managing existing Reservations prior to travel $35

Airport check-in — available at ticket counter or self-service kiosk $35

Airport departure gate $50

Sensible?

It's INSANE. :shakehead:

if_a_747_can_carry_the_space_shuttle-79191.jpg

I have to disagree with Frank on this one. You're right about not wanting surprises at check in, but I would prefer to pay only for the services I need. If there were no checked bags on a flight, there would be lower costs to the airlines. Not just fuel cost, but also manpower to load and unload. More bags=more time and cost. I have no problem with passing that cost on to only those passengers that need to check a bag. Pay for it in advance when you buy your ticket. If you didn't expect to check a bag and then end up with one at the time of check in, then expect to pay for it there, and maybe at a premium price. I think that's all fair.

Want food or booze? Pay for it. Or bring your own, but do it quietly. Want to choose your seat in advance? Maybe it's fair to charge for that too. Otherwise shut up and sit where we tell you. Center seat between 2 screaming babies, far away from your wife. Everything that costs extra, all those nickel and dime charges you talk about, are available to be paid for when you book your flight. So it isn't really a surprise, it's just that you don't know what the final cost is until you're through.

As for carry on charges, Spirit Air has been doing that for years. Initially pissed me off, but I do think it is fair. Ladies, be prepared to pay for that purse as a carry on item, or stick your wallet in your pocket like we do. If the airlines are not going to charge for the purse (or the huge tote bag they sometimes call a purse), then the guys need some leeway for a backpack or briefcase. Basically the rule should be free for whatever you put under the seat in front of you, but pay for the overhead. I've been on plenty of flights that I had to gate check an important item (like a rebreather head) not because it was oversized, but because the overheads were already full. What really pissed me off about Spirit was how they cram several extra rows of seats onto the plane, so your knees are crunched into your chest.

You can learn to avoid some extra charges by packing differently. It's a new era.

I rarely fly on domestic carriers. Foreign carriers are often far better in terms of service and I have yet to be nickel and dimed.

Then you haven't ever flown with RyanAir. That's the true master of extra charges. And the one bag they allow is no bigger than a purse. My small bag that is a carry on with every other airline is a required checked bag for an extra fee.

Now THAT is something if like to see standardized in the industry.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Wookie on this. Just make the base rate inclusive of all of the "normal" things that should be included in that flight. Hate getting nickle and dimed to death.

The airlines already make the base rate inclusive: it's called first class.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2014 at 02:49 PM ----------

The queuing process at the gate to get the limited overhead bins is becoming unbearable.

Agreed, but IMO it's directly driven by charging for checking a bag and allowing free carry-on. Loading the plane is delayed by the need for everyone to put his luggage into the overhead bin, and then for the late-comer to go up and down the aisle looking for an opening between two bags that he can make bigger by jamming his bag between them. And then some bags are taken off the plane for gate-checking. Gate-checking is free on most airlines, creating even more incentive to bring carry-ons on board rather than pay a fee to check them.

I don't care what the rules are just apply them fairly. I usually get my tickets 5-6 months ahead of time and for some reason we are usually one of the last to board.
My carry-on is small and meets the standard basically a briefcase and I have to gate check because they have allowed multiple passengers before me carry on these huge pieces of luggage and cram them into the overheads.

Then they want to scrutinize my carry-on?

I finally went to Delta's frequent fliers program just to get priority boarding.

The idea that charging for extra bags is justified by the "extra weight" that they use is BS. My partner weighs about 100lb I weigh more :) average for my height. So based on the weight she should get a discount I should pay the base rate and Wookie should pay a premium. Silly, give us a reasonable weight limit included in the fair and charge more for those that need more.
Yep; do it like the military. When you manifest to your flight; you have to waddle up with all your bags (usually a duffle and a rucksack), your carry-on, any carried gear like your body armor and helmet, as well as your weapons, night vision and any other sensitive items (yes, we carry guns on commercial charters :D) They weigh you, and calculate the fuel costs then.

Do the same for a commerical flight. Weigh everyone at check-in with their bags and charge them for what it will cost in fuel.

Might even help bring down the obesity rates. But can you imagine the whining at the check-in then? :D

I don't care what the rules are just apply them fairly. I usually get my tickets 5-6 months ahead of time and for some reason we are usually one of the last to board. My carry-on is small and meets the standard basically a briefcase and I have to gate check because they have allowed multiple passengers before me carry on these huge pieces of luggage and cram them into the overheads.
I think that has to do with where you sit on the plane. Sit in back, you board first.

Here's another place the airlines need to copy the military. Board the plane, go to your seat and sit down! Once everyone is boarded around you; then and only then, you can get up and stow your bag. If the military can load 300 troops with bags and rifles onto a commercial aircraft in 5 minutes, there's no reason the airline needs 25-30 to accomplish an easier task.

It's annoying how a few people have to mill around their seat because their carry-on is too large or heavy to lift (if it has wheels- it is not a carry-on and you should be charged double to have it gate-checked) and there isn't space overhead directly above their seat.

I think that has to do with where you sit on the plane. Sit in back, you board first.
Almost correct.
first class gets on first. Then the very frequent flyers (regardless of row #) then military and disabled, then families with small children, then "economy plus".

This does vary slightly by country and airline...

Finally the cattle are unleashed, back rows first.
this means if you are one of the cattle, hope for a seat near the back...

Almost correct.
first class gets on first. Then the very frequent flyers (regardless of row #) then military and disabled, then families with small children, then "economy plus".

This does vary slightly by country and airline...

Finally the cattle are unleashed, back rows first.
this means if you are one of the cattle, hope for a seat near the back...
Well, yes; 1st class and frequent fliers/priority program members board first.

Most airlines board by zone (except Southwest). Zone one is your economy plus, and the smaller the number, the farther back you are. Most airlines don't give priority to military, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom