Hate paying airline add-on fees? This NYT article might change your mind.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having flown on a few commuter jets in and out of Denver, there is a couple of planes that people have been asked to change seats and redistribute weight, usually front to back. On those flights there is only the 1 piece allowed in the cabin, they check the other carryons when you get to the plane, the it is returned to you when you get off the plane right at the gate. The overhead bins are smaller.

On the other hand, I recently flew to Houston on a 787, there is plenty of overhead storage even when the plane is full, along with more leg room and free TV.:D I don't remember a domestic flight in the last 3 or 4 years that was not full.

Having flown on a few commuter jets in and out of Denver, there is a couple of planes that people have been asked to change seats and redistribute weight, usually front to back. On those flights there is only the 1 piece allowed in the cabin, they check the other carryons when you get to the plane, the it is returned to you when you get off the plane right at the gate. The overhead bins are smaller.
there are lots of commuter planes that will not hold "legal carrion luggage". So you have to sky check your big bag for free at the ramp. It then gets tossed around by luggage apes.

I make sure my carryon camera bag fits in the tiny over heads on these planes.

But giffenk, it might be understandable they'd not want to put "carrion" into the cabin bins, even if it's "legal" :wink:

But giffenk, it might be understandable they'd not want to put "carrion" into the cabin bins, even if it's "legal" :wink:
I want to like this more than just once....

Almost correct.
first class gets on first. Then the very frequent flyers (regardless of row #) then military and disabled, then families with small children, then "economy plus".

This does vary slightly by country and airline...

Finally the cattle are unleashed, back rows first.
this means if you are one of the cattle, hope for a seat near the back...

The airlines have experimented with various computer algorithms to see how they can complete the boarding process quicker (it's a sorting problem) and have tried different arrangements. The problem is, unlike the military's brilliant system (Go directly to your seat and sit down. Period.), most roll-aboard bags won't fit on the laps of the passengers. (Heck, sometimes the seat belt won't even fit on the lap of some passengers.)

So my humble opinion is that whatever the airlines can do to minimize the roll-aboard overhead-bin-max bags would be beneficial. If that means paying more to carry on a bag than to check it, fine by me.

And I would be whining and complaining about the fees too, but deep in my heart, I would know that charging fees for carry-on made for a better system.

When I fly United and Jeff Smisek comes on with his video spiel for flying the Friendly skies, I have a hard time feeling sorry for the airline with my knees in my throat, knowing his salary package last year was 8.1 million $$$$$.

So my humble opinion is that whatever the airlines can do to minimize the roll-aboard overhead-bin-max bags would be beneficial. If that means paying more to carry on a bag than to check it, fine by me.

And I would be whining and complaining about the fees too, but deep in my heart, I would know that charging fees for carry-on made for a better system.

I really agree with that. Charge the same fee for a carry-on as for a checked bag. Maybe folks will go back to checking their bags since there would no longer be that incentive to pack everything into too large, too heavy, and too many carry-ons.

Leave the carry-on for those who want, or need, the convenience of a carry-on bag.

Speed up boarding and the security lines.

most roll-aboard bags won't fit on the laps of the passengers.
Those aren't "carry-ons". They're checked bags they use to cheat.

As I said; people with them should be forced to check them, and charged double.

Those aren't "carry-ons". They're checked bags they use to cheat.

As I said; people with them should be forced to check them, and charged double.

It's not cheating if you play by the rules. :wink:

It's the rules that are the problem. The passengers are being the "rational economic actors" that the economists assume people are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom