Has Your Mask Adjustment Buckle or Pin Broken or Become Lost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking around lately at the varied mask adjustment buckle and strap pin systems from all the manufacturers, I've been hearing of and seeing some buckle breakage and strap pins becoming lost on dives.

I was wondering how common this is and if you have ever experienced the loss (or unstrapping) of your mask (or masks at depth or on the surface and if it's happened more than once.

The new Scubadiving Magazine's mask review in the latest issue reminded me that I'd been wanting to post this question/ conduct an informal survey for awhile now.

Thanks.

I had a buckle pin that was loose- The pin started to slide out and one end let go as I was putting it on. I was able to push it back in and everything was good to go. I did have a backup mask in my pocket in case it happened during the dive.

EDIT: I have a Scubapro frameless- it has a plastic buckle with a metal pin that goes through a piece of rubber on the skirt. It looks like it's just pressed in there and definitely not peened.

I had a pin come off on my frameless Scubapro mask last december when on a 60 ft dive in the carribean. I kept my mask on by sucking air from my nose and called the dive without a problem.

I found that the socket where the pin went in on the plastic attachment hinge was pretty small and thin walled, it was cracked. That mask is an older model, the pin is about 1½ inch long, now the pins are about ¾ inches. I don't know if they are better.

do it easy, would you (and everyone) mind stating which brand of mask? This is kind of a consumer's survey... oh yeah if people could describe the pin type (plastic roller, plastic or metal sprung wrist watch type, or pressed/peened over metal pins or...whatever else is out there, that's "acted up on you".
Thanks. I too carry a back up mask .

1 T submariner, which brand and type of pin was it? Metal/plastic?
Belmont, That's interesting as SP's frameless is one of the best known and respected masks around. Metal or plastic pins? I'm beginning to think that pin loss/separation is more common than usually thought. Let's find out...?

My favorite mask is the Cressi Big Eyes. I've owned three of them but the strap buckles broke on first two and I'm sure the third one will eventually given the track record. I'd sure like to get them fixed, but no one sells Cressi out here

Bill I do to, but what do you do about the bubbles going in front of your face in the upright position? I have one but can't use it for video or camera work! Other than that I like it! I use the old three window SCUBA-Pro so the bubbles are routed away!

Here are some pics of the area with the problem. I was lucky to get a new hinge piece from my LDS. The pin is metal.

The weak pin housing is outlined in #1.

On the newer models the pin and hinge are shorter.

The mask has about 60 dives, I have to say that I use a slap strap, it has less stretch and imposes more stress on the hardware.

SCMask1.jpg

SCMask2.jpg

SCMask3.jpg

Thanks do it easy for your edit and PM. Wow! OK, I'm gonna fess up now.
I have had plastic pins pull out at depth and on the beach on an XS Scuba Fusion 3 window mask that I really like. IT happened 3 or 4 times over two years. XS and my LDS have both been great and replaced the mask with a new one (even though it's past warantee) which I haven't had the chance to dive with yet. They think that it's an isolated case and that my one particular mask had an unusual issue and they hadn't ever heard or seen this problem before. I'll see how future dives go because as I said, it's otherwise a great mask.

It's been VERY interesting to see that this is an issue with masks of many different brands and styles. Seems like the guy who built a better mousetrap might go into the better roller pin/buckle biz :)

Let's hear more if there is more.
If anyone has DIYed a homeade sturdy replacement for plastic roller pins, pins I'd love to see some pics.

I'm wondering if maybe the mask manufacturers aren't realizing there are these issues because we just pick up new pins/buckles at our LDS to replace those lost and they are presumed to be a maintenance item rather than a design
problem.

Back
Top Bottom