Has Your Mask Adjustment Buckle or Pin Broken or Become Lost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cressi Masks (the 'Big Eye') are terrible for this. I've suffered 6-7 mask strap buckle failures on 3 of these masks.

I tried to repair and replace (expensive replacement buckles!!! Grrrr....), but these broke also.

My solution was to simply switch to using a velcro/neoprene mask strap, threaded directly through the mask frame. There's nothing to break or fail now.

I have used the same Big Eyes mask for over 10 years, but have also had a backup Big Eyes for at least 8 years. After more than 1000 dives (perhaps near 2000 if pool dives count) I had buckle issues. The buckle repair kit was a special order through my least favorite dive shop on Maui, but it was less than $25 for two kits, and it did not take that long for the parts to come in.

I also only use a velcro/neoprene mask strap on my #1 mask, but through operational buckles with no problem again for more than 1000 dives. Just have the neoprene strap cover on #2 (and my #3 Cressi Horizon).

edit: #1 is on the boat but here are #2 & #3.

While I waited for parts I also ran the velcro strap through the frame/hole (pic 3), but working in the most expensive resort district in all of Hawaii is not a place to go ghetto. The Horizon and original Big Eyes have different logo covers for the buckles (pic 1) but the buckle itself is the same (pic 2).

Last edited:
Never had a problem. I have both a Tilos Flex mask (el-cheapo at $35, but a perfectly servicable wee thing...it now serves as my back-up mask) and an Atomic Ultraclear frameless mask, which is the bee's knees, as far as I'm concerned. Granted, the thingymajigs (yes, spot the technician!) on the side of the Atomic were a PITA when it came to inserting a slap-strap (the Flex was a piece of cake), but other than that, it's been smooth sailing.

halemanō;5677599:
The buckle repair kit was a special order through my least favorite dive shop on Maui, but it was less than $25 for two kits, and it did not take that long for the parts to come in.

Thanks for the pics! So, what did the buckle repair kit consist of? Two replacement buckles & pins each? New buckle covers?

Yes, the kit was 2 complete buckle assemblies; logo cover, top piece w/4-prong hole clip, bottom piece w/ pin installed and the button/plug that sticks in the 4-prong from the back side of the hole (all x2). A prong piece is usually the first to break; plugs fall out right after the first prong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom