Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to throw some mud in the water... Atomic has announced their BC2 - a back-inflate BCD. Details are still very scarce. But, that COULD be as nice or nicer than a Hydros. However, based on the price of their BC1, I expect it will probably be way more expensive than the Hydros - which means REDONKULOUS. But, for a money-is-no-object shopper looking for a new BCD, I'd say to wait a week or two, as I think that's when Atomic is supposed to reveal full details on the BC2.
Atomic Aquatics Introduces New BC2 Back Inflation Buoyancy Compensator - DiveNewswire
Check Out Atomic Aquatics' New BC2 BCD – DeeperBlue.com
Not sure I care for the EZ-LOK weight system, reminds me of Aqua Lung. Guess we will all see soon.

I have a pair of Hydros inbound (wife and myself). I have gone back and forth so much over the past few months on these boards reading pro's and con's and trying to soak it all in!! I've looked really closely at getting the Deep 6 BPW set up (their regs are also inbound), I'm in the queue for a Freedom Plate since late last year, as well as looking at numerous other BPW options. If a FP had come up I would have seriously been swayed that way, but honestly for the diving we do (airline travel, often carry-on only), warm water singles only (rash to 3mm max), I think either would work really well. For my wife, she was leaning more toward staying with the type that rents from the Dive Op, so getting the Hydros is a change enough. Me having the same as her is also worth some value as I will be a 'better' buddy. I'm looking forward to having our own gear, will report back what we think about what we purchased, and also wanted to say a huge thank you to you guys!

Sometimes it gets a little challenging reading the comments, trying to understand context, presuppositions, dive style and personality etc. but overall you have proven a wealth of knowledge, encouraged me to think and consider options I wouldn't have otherwise, and educated me to hopefully be a better diver!

@scubadada I wonder how much lift it is. The pictures do not show any kind of bladder management bungee, but the first article talks about some silicone band that may be something for that, but I couldn't tell for sure.

It appears to be a horseshoe bladder with as many as 4 pull dumps. I'm already looking at it with one eyebrow raised. :)

I'm in the queue for a Freedom Plate since late last year, as well as looking at numerous other BPW options. If a FP had come up I would have seriously been swayed that way

If you are going to get a FP, then I would spend $85 on a DGX SS plate or $75(? I think) on a VDH SS plate now and go ahead and get a wing, etc.. You could be diving that BP/W until your FP number comes up and then you would only have to move the wing and harness over to the FP and resume diving. Max loss would be $85 or less, I think.

The FP and a small VDH wing is THE Mac Daddy setup for warm water diving, in my book. I am taking mine on a Bahamas liveaboard in 7 weeks (and 1 day, LOL). I cannot WAIT! I love diving my CCR, but warm water and a tiny single rig has its own appeal.

@scubadada I wonder how much lift it is. The pictures do not show any kind of bladder management bungee, but the first article talks about some silicone band that may be something for that, but I couldn't tell for sure.

It appears to be a horseshoe bladder with as many as 4 pull dumps. I'm already looking at it with one eyebrow raised. :)
They use a silicone retraction band, shown in photo, not sure of the effectiveness for the entire wing. I did not notice the horseshoe bladder, I almost exclusively use my butt dump, I don't think that would work for me with air in the other arm and head down/butt up. I can't find anything about lift. In time, all will be revealed.

upload_2019-6-6_16-53-4.png

Initial thoughts on the BC2:

1. Huish. I have begun to try and avoid all things Huish.
2. Horseshoe. I like doughnuts, both for wings and the kind you eat. One of those is good for me, one isn't, but I like them both.
3. Side panels and weight pockets look massive and the handles look like you could ski on them. But may be great...
4. Probably good quality, but, Huish...see above.
5. Would likely pick a Zeagle Stiletto or Covert XT over this based on first impressions. But then Zeagle is also Huish, so...

Bare and Atomic are Huish and I quite like both of them. Stahlsac is also Huish and my Stahlsac bag is 4 1/2 years old and doesn't have a single flaw. I don't know of anything wrong with Zeagle, but I have never owned anything Zeagle. Oceanic seems fine for what it is - a mid-priced line of gear. My Oceanic Atom computer was really good to me.

But, when it comes to Atomic, I like their regs and you can keep the rest....

I definitely agree on liking donuts - of all types. I am a bit surprised that they put a horseshoe bladder on this new BCD.

Bare and Atomic are Huish and I quite like both of them. Stahlsac is also Huish and my Stahlsac bag is 4 1/2 years old and doesn't have a single flaw. I don't know of anything wrong with Zeagle, but I have never owned anything Zeagle. Oceanic seems fine for what it is - a mid-priced line of gear. My Oceanic Atom computer was really good to me.

But, when it comes to Atomic, I like their regs and you can keep the rest....

I definitely agree on liking donuts - of all types. I am a bit surprised that they put a horseshoe bladder on this new BCD.

You forgot SUUNTO. Atomic Cobalt is still a fine computer - best two button interface ever.. Wish they had introduced a wrist model.

What is all the hatred towards Huish? Other than them seeming to be another ravenous corporation eating every small dive gear company like a starving monster.
Why don’t they just call everything Huish brand?
With the new Huish brand BC, I think they are missing the whole point of why people pick a BP/W. Just like the Hydros, I think this thing is an answer to it. They may even get into an escalating war over who can gimmick it up better.
I think they are on the right track with their designs, it’s just the details, they get lost in over engineering and gimmickry. The entire reason people love BP/W’s are because of the simplicity, the home made aspect, and the grass roots of it. And they like that all the components of a BP/W are available as individually sourced goods. The BP/W is a counter culture to these over engineered contraptions. I personally doubt the geniuses at the top of these companies will ever get it.

I don't hate Huish. I like Huish.

Like any other big company with lots of products, they have some that I wouldn't want. But, they also have plenty of things I want (and use).

I think the Hydros had SOME promise of being modular and people being able to tweak and customize it to suit their needs. I'm not sure it really lives up to that. But, it definitely seems like the Atomic BCs has NONE of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom