Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Use the Hydros Pro. After about 15 months/400 dives both the monprene shoulder pads (left and right) tore where it connects at the hinge. The shoulder strap is the webbing and that did not fail, nor did it ever look likely to fail. Whilst my dive shop was arranging replacements, I took my HP with the torn monprene shoulder pads on a dive trip and did about 50 dives with absolutely no problems. Warranty replacement have since been installed. I believe the warranty period was 1 year, but even though my monprene shoulder pads tore after the warranty period, my warranty claim was honoured.

The monprene shoulder pads are not designed to be weight bearing. Perhaps Scubapro should have designed them to be free floating instead of being affixed at one end where it can tear.
Would you but it again?

Would you but it again?

If I was diving strictly recreational, it's a great choice. If you're a believer in Air2's and AI, it is pretty minimal. I put my jacket BCD back on yesterday in the pool and I'd never dive with one again.

That being said, a BP/W setup or something like DiveRite's Transpac is pretty comfy too, the harness type feel did get some getting used to for me.

I have 200+ dives on my HP, have replaced the shoulder straps and just deal with the bungies. It's a great middle between a jacket and harness setup.

Buy it again? If that's how I dove all the time, absolutely.

If I was diving strictly recreational, it's a great choice. If you're a believer in Air2's and AI, it is pretty minimal. I put my jacket BCD back on yesterday in the pool and I'd never dive with one again.

That being said, a BP/W setup or something like DiveRite's Transpac is pretty comfy too, the harness type feel did get some getting used to for me.

I have 200+ dives on my HP, have replaced the shoulder straps and just deal with the bungies. It's a great middle between a jacket and harness setup.

Interesting. Thank you for your input guys.

I have 200+ dives on my HP, have replaced the shoulder straps and just deal with the bungies.

The bungee system on the new Seahawk looks different when compared to HP’s. Do you think this is because Scubapro realized how bad the design was on HP and decided to re-design from ground up?

The bungee system on the new Seahawk looks different when compared to HP’s. Do you think this is because Scubapro realized how bad the design was on HP and decided to re-design from ground up?
The bungee system on the Knighthawk and Ladyhawk has always been different, it is not able to shift from side to side. It's hard for me to believe the poor design of the Hydros Pro. I've yet to see the fix.

The bungee system on the Knighthawk and Ladyhawk has always been different, it is not able to shift from side to side. It's hard for me to believe the poor design of the Hydros Pro. I've yet to see the fix.
Yea it is hard to believe that they decided to change something that has been working great for years just because they felt like HP should be unique and look completely different.

I tried out a Hydros Pro yesterday for about 10 minutes before I tried out a BP/W for the first time as well. Prior I had only ever used jacket style as I'm still very new and only done OW/AOW dives as well as 2 more after that.

The Hydros Pro felt nice on. The one I used had the weight pockets attached. They had another one there without them, so I could see what it looked like, and they add a lot of bulk. The grip of the BCD is nice. The rubbery texture just sticks to you, but in a good way.

I enjoyed my time with it but I did not feel like it was anything special. I was more curious since it was a back inflated BCD which I had never used before. I put some extra weight into the BCD so I could fill it with some air and become buoyant to see how it felt underwater. I noticed slightly how it didn't try to pull me vertical like a jacket style did. At the surface, while it does try to "push you forward" it is nothing hard to overcome, and you an just turn around and float on your back if you want. It did feel like a slightly more minimal jacket style BCD, as far as how it feels wearing it. It isn't as bulky, but I was surprised how "big" and heavy it was.

Afterwards I tried out a BP/W for the first time, and within a minute or two, I was sold on it and that is going to be what I'm going to purchase. The minimal feel of it was incredible.

I tried out a Hydros Pro yesterday for about 10 minutes before I tried out a BP/W for the first time as well. Prior I had only ever used jacket style as I'm still very new and only done OW/AOW dives as well as 2 more after that.

The Hydros Pro felt nice on. The one I used had the weight pockets attached. They had another one there without them, so I could see what it looked like, and they add a lot of bulk. The grip of the BCD is nice. The rubbery texture just sticks to you, but in a good way.

I enjoyed my time with it but I did not feel like it was anything special. I was more curious since it was a back inflated BCD which I had never used before. I put some extra weight into the BCD so I could fill it with some air and become buoyant to see how it felt underwater. I noticed slightly how it didn't try to pull me vertical like a jacket style did. At the surface, while it does try to "push you forward" it is nothing hard to overcome, and you an just turn around and float on your back if you want. It did feel like a slightly more minimal jacket style BCD, as far as how it feels wearing it. It isn't as bulky, but I was surprised how "big" and heavy it was.

Afterwards I tried out a BP/W for the first time, and within a minute or two, I was sold on it and that is going to be what I'm going to purchase. The minimal feel of it was incredible.
Did you use weight pockets with the BP/W?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom