Has anyone ever had a brand new light flood on 1st dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can light floods are not that uncommon. From your post, it is unclear to me whether the head or the can flooded. If it is the canister that flooded (assuming that by brand name, you meant Halcyon, Dive Rite or Salvo), it was most likely operator error. The o-ring must be installed and clean - a single hair on it can be enough to cause water to get into the can - and both latches need to be latched at the same time to be sure that the o-ring seats properly. If it was another brand that does not seal with an o-ring and two latches (like Sartek, OMS or Greenforce), I can't comment. In any case, take it back to the shop where you bought it and have them check it.

If the head flooded, take it back to the shop where you bought it and they should take care of it for you. It is definitely a defect.

The amount and quality of light provided by HID canister lights is more than worth the trouble.

Just to clarify, all Green Force batteries are sealed and can't leak, we do not use locking latches.

Thanks - Greg

Huh? :confused:

A divelight with a cord not rated for underwater use? :shakehead:

Was this a homebuilt, or did the manufacturer just have an "oh ****" moment?

It was a manufacturer problem about 5 years ago. I don't know all the details, but apparently the water was coming in thru the jacket of the cable. They had the problem with a number of lights.

Every single Princeton Tec light I've taken diving with me has flooded the first time I used it. After the 3rd model tried, and replaced by PT twice, I gave up finally. I'm anal about me gear, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't screwing them up.

Saved me some typing!

No more PT for me, either. Exact same story.

Altho the OP is talking about can lights. Never had any hint of a flood with my Salvo, but anytime o-rings are involved, excrement can occur.

I did. I used my brand new Big Blue VTL2500 during a photo contest shootout on a weekend. It flooded after the first day. Big Blue was good about replacing it.

Are you aware that this thread is 7 years old?? Just wandering

I did. I used my brand new Big Blue VTL2500 during a photo contest shootout on a weekend. It flooded after the first day. Big Blue was good about replacing it.

Are you aware that this thread is 7 years old?? Just wandering

Haha I didn't notice. The thread just showed up next to something I posted recently. Oh well.

Every single Princeton Tec light I've taken diving with me has flooded the first time I used it. After the 3rd model tried, and replaced by PT twice, I gave up finally. I'm anal about me gear, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't screwing them up.

I had a PT flood on the first dive too, which led me to suspect that it was garbage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom