Has anyone ever had a brand new light flood on 1st dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirkadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever had a brand new brand name HID canister light flood on the first dive? I just got my light & was doing some search & recovery locally this past weekend. Finished diving, breaking down gear, went to dissasemble my light to put it back in case, removed light head, completely full of water as if I filled it intentionally. I cant' imagine this is common on a $500-$600 light.

Has anyone ever had a brand new brand name HID canister light flood on the first dive? I just got my light & was doing some search & recovery locally this past weekend. Finished diving, breaking down gear, went to dissasemble my light to put it back in case, removed light head, completely full of water as if I filled it intentionally. I cant' imagine this is common on a $500-$600 light.

I've flooded quite a few lights. Usually my fault. The cost of the light doesnt mean anything if you've done something wrong.

Not implying you have or havent, just that the cost doesnt preclude the possibilty.

Has anyone ever had a brand new brand name HID canister light flood on the first dive? I cant' imagine this is common .

Mostly common on ones that didn't have the o-rings properly serviced by the diver. Sure, there can be manufacturing defects, but the more expensive lights do get subjected to a pretty good pre-ship check. But if we're talking percentages and probabilities here, I'd put money on one of Puff's hairs that got on the o-ring you greased the night before sitting on your bed.

You did grease the o-rings, right? I have several Nikonos cameras that serve as magnificent door stops. It happens to all of us.

Unless you're doing the kool aid, might consider NiteRider Products. Way less moving parts. And hey- if you discovered the light failure after the dive, maybe you should have just left it on shore and "disassembled" safely in it's case.

K.I.S.S.

Can light floods are not that uncommon. From your post, it is unclear to me whether the head or the can flooded. If it is the canister that flooded (assuming that by brand name, you meant Halcyon, Dive Rite or Salvo), it was most likely operator error. The o-ring must be installed and clean - a single hair on it can be enough to cause water to get into the can - and both latches need to be latched at the same time to be sure that the o-ring seats properly. If it was another brand that does not seal with an o-ring and two latches (like Sartek, OMS or Greenforce), I can't comment. In any case, take it back to the shop where you bought it and have them check it.

If the head flooded, take it back to the shop where you bought it and they should take care of it for you. It is definitely a defect.

The amount and quality of light provided by HID canister lights is more than worth the trouble.

Yes. On the very first dive, just as I got to the bottom it went out. Turned out to be the light cord was not rated for underwater use.

Yes. On the very first dive, just as I got to the bottom it went out. Turned out to be the light cord was not rated for underwater use.

Huh? :confused:

A divelight with a cord not rated for underwater use? :shakehead:

Was this a homebuilt, or did the manufacturer just have an "oh ****" moment?

It was the canister that flooded. Did everything as explained in manual.
Roatan man--- I never said the light failed. It worked the entire dive, even though it flooded.

Every single Princeton Tec light I've taken diving with me has flooded the first time I used it. After the 3rd model tried, and replaced by PT twice, I gave up finally. I'm anal about me gear, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't screwing them up.

Back
Top Bottom