Has anyone dived Lake Possum Kingdom lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If so, I'd appreciate a trip/condition report. Some friends and I are going to dive it this weekend by boat, and we're wondering whether the algae has settled down a bit yet. (If not...well, that's why they call us "swamp divers", right?)

Much obliged for any info ya'll can provide!

I was out there two weeks ago. The viz was pretty good in some areas below 30ft. we did some diving at Hell's Gate but the viz was truly unremarkable maybe a few inches. I believe much of the poor viz can be attributed to algae in the warmer areas of the lake.
I have found a new favorite spot in a small cove just outside the marina at BRA Campground and boat ramp #1. It has a neat overhanging arch at the entrance and little grottos to explore further back. If you don't disturb the bottom I have found it to be reliably clear water at depth 50-80. Not far from the dam we found some good diving if you don't mind a few trees some are fairly large but not too many branches to deal with. It is cold at depth like always around 58.

Cheers,
Rich

Much obliged for the report, Rich. Is that little cove at BRA#1 accessible from shore (or is a boat necessary)? And which direction is it from the boat ramp? I'd certainly like to check it out if we get over there.
Thanks again.
Bill

Bill,
We dove the cliffs were there are some perminante moorings and beaches.
The wall paralells a line directly to the damn.

We ran into multiple fish and recovered a boat deck chair and a mushroom anchor.

The top 15ft were really green and then it cleared like windex after that.
We hit thermoclines at 15 ish ft and felt the cold at about 50ft.

Think this could be a really fun site.

If diving by the moorings- be careful of waterskiers.
The cliffs provide a nice protected cove which them seem attracted them.

Crazyduck Thanks for the report. Are those the cliffs on the north shore or south shore? Would you happen to remember which lake markers they were near?
Thanks!

If anyone is headed out to PK sometime this month hollar at me. I would love to get a dive in out there soon before it starts to get too cold. However, my time is limited this month so I may have to try to squeeze the time in.

Guba-The cove is just left of the marina heading out and pretty darn close maybe 5min max with a loaded boat of divers. I think it is only accessable by boat it's a pretty big giant stride.

Crazy Duck-I think you are decribing the same area infront of the dam we reset a mooring buoy. And you are right about the skiers, they love to cut between our boat and the shore which is crazy.

Todd Burns from Scuba Point is who I dive with when out there. He has several boats of various sizes to accomidate any size group. You can get his phone # off the scubapointpk.com web site.
He is always finding a new spot for us to dive or something lost to look for.

Rich

Rich, I know the "old" Scuba Point closed, but has Todd set up anything new? I thought I heard he was doing charters, but I haven't heard whether he set up a compressor for fills. Any word on this? Thanks for the info.
Bill

Guba.... which day/time/location are you going to PK ??

Todd is indeed taking divers out on an informal basis. They also have set up a small shop of sorts that I haven't visited yet but he mentioned that he could fill tanks. I'm not sure if he has a large air bank or nitrox yet but he is capable of air fills. The old number gives contact numbers for both Ann and Todd to get directions. It sounded like his new location isn't far from the old one just not on the water.

Back
Top Bottom