Has anyone been to Balmorhea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had been to Balmorhea, Tx?? I have to go out there to finish my divemaster class in March and I know nothing about it.:mean:

I haven't been yet either. We're supposed to DM for a class in the next few weeks and are going out there fir the first time. I've heard that the spring is full of turtles, and several kinds of freshwater fish. I especially want to see the schools of Mexican Tetras that 'they' say look like those big schools of silversides you see in the tropics. We're looking forward to diving there but not the 11-12 hours drive!

'They' also say once is enough! Sort of the "Been there, Done that" thing.

Hey...this is my 1100th post! Dang...I'm chatty :D

Balmorhea State Park

Howdy TRUETEXAN:

I've dived Balmorhea, but it was probably 15 years ago. It was a really fun dive, and I'd do it again if it was closer, but with the drive from DFW once is indeed enough. But then, I suppose if we got a group together sometime and shared the ride, I might be tempted.

It should be a great place for a dive class. Predictable water temp, reasonable vis, plenty of fish and turtles to see, etc.

Bill

I've been there twice!

Discovered it on a trip to NM with a troop of Boy Scouts - then came back twice with family to dive & tourist.

This was all high summer - when it's GREAT to jump in and cool for a while - so I spent a fair bit of time working on holding neutral at 5-10 ft while enjoying being surrounded with new, but tiny, fish! - My teenagers got real bored, real quick!

Otherwise - Dee & Bill are right - it's about 2/3 acre of spring, max depth ~25 feet, and most of it set aside for swimmers with concrete flooring. A few larger catfish, bass and a turtle or 2 - lots of the tiny pupfish and other spring natives. - Very pleasant, but not really inspiring.

I really like it as a tourist jumping off spot. - Dive in the morning - then off to McDonald Observatory, Ft. Davis, and whatever other local things to do - then back for a late afternoon dive or just hang by their nice cabins watching the life in the canals connected to the spring.

OR - you can finsh your DiveMaster class!

Cheers

I was out there last year over Easter for 4 days of diving. I think it would be a great place to finish your DM certification - especially if you have to lead groups - the vis is great! My husband and I actually did our mapping and rescue for DM there.

But...honestly, in my opinion it is a one time deal. If I were traveling out that way, I would stop again and dive but wouldn't make a special trip just to go out there. The fish and turtle are awesome to look at and photograph, if you're into that.
The park itself is very clean - as most Texas State Parks are (very clean restrooms w/showers). In March, it will get a bit chilly at night being at the base of the mountains but during the day it should warm up. Bring the 7mm to dive in, the water is a constant (about) 72. After a few dives a day it can get cold.

Are you camping or staying in one of the cabins? We camped while we where there and really enjoyed it. You will have to drive to the spring to dive - hope you have a truck to load your gear in. Otherwise, its a long walk!

I've got some personal pics I could email you if you'd like. PM me and let me know. If not, have fun!

Back
Top Bottom