Has anyone been out to Mansfield dam lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your going to be lucky if there is enough water to dive from the reports I am reading--lol!

We were there July 5th and we had the whole place to ourselves. Visability was 7-8 feet below 30ft then got worse at 80ft. I had a new diver with me so we did not venture any farther than that.
Had fun on the plane and the water was blistering hot above 15ft.
Dove without wetsuit or BC on the second dive and it was refreshing.
That is a looooong walk up and down the hill in 104 degree heat.

That is a looooong walk up and down the hill in 104 degree heat.

So I was thinking about that long walk down the stairs and over the rocks and it wasn't sounding good, until I started thinking about Windy point...the looong walk down the stairs - to the platform - to the smaller stairs - and this week will probably be across the rocks!

Carrie

Hey Carrie,

Good alternatives in this heat are Windy Pt public (Bob Wentz) - shore access. Or the Giant Stride (don't need to pay park access fee). Heading to Mansfield now so will report later on the conditions.

- John

Well, I went yesterday, and the conditions weren't wonderful, but they could have been a LOT worse. We started the dive on the SS Aquasports (a.k.a. the spider boat). The top of the cabin was about 3 feet from the surface. From there, we swam down to the adjacent barge, large sailboat, down to the memorial, back to the cesna, after which I reattached the cable from the cesna to the large sailboat. We managed to find all the old waypoints out there, so I'm glad to see they're there, but I want to know who moved my snake off the plane, and what happened to all the lines out there? And is the geocache still there? Oh, the big thermocline was roughly at 50, which was a kick in the rear with no wetsuit.

K.

Hey guys: Just FYI I went out on boat with L. Travis Scuba and we dove below the Oasis yesterday. The vis was probably 15' Thought that was pretty good considering conditions. Went 80' and cool water felt great. We then went to the "old scuba park" and basically followed the ropes/lines as could barely see hand in front of face.

Mansfield last Wed, the vis was pretty good I thought. and quite a few fish which wasn't typical. Certainly worth checking out here while the level is low, tho it's quite the hike back up the hill/steps.

I'm at a state park in Missouri now where they want $50 for a 1 tank boat drive ... So y'all appreciate going out with Robert, y'hear!

Additional Windy Point info from last weekend July 18/19:

Surface water temperature = 87 degrees
Thermocline at the ledge (now about 40 feet) = high 70s

Platform 3 only stairs to get to water ("60 steps to freedom") then an acrobatic journey over the rocks.

The Shark sculpture is completely out of the water.

The back side of the Jet Ski can be seen from the elevated shore 60 steps above the water.

The rear bumper of the Pinto off of Platform 1 is at 46 feet; the front of the Pinto is about 51 feet.

The mid-ships of the Benetau/Second Wind (28 foot sailboat) over the ledge and South of Platform 4 is at 55 feet.

Platform 4 is at 22 feet.

Viz during the weekend: 3 feet surface to Platform 4; below Platform 4 to the Ledge was 0-3; below the Ledge at Platform 4 to 60 feet viz = 3-5 feet.

But when all is considered, it's all about getting wet and blowing bubbles anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom