Has anybody ever used a regulator intended to be the primary, as a secondary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimalistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dear forum,
I am slowly adding to my gear. Just got a backplate, wing and one piece strap for Christmas, and the next thing I will be getting will be the regulator. I am either going to get the Poseidon Cyclon, or Scubapro a700. I will then be getting some kind of wireless air computer watch like a D9.

My intent is for my setup to be as sleek, and minimalist as possible.

I am planning on getting some kind of backup regulator that is integrated into the inflator. But the irony is that the integrated units are so big, plastic, clunky and gaudy, with their brightly colored buttons, that I am starting to think they are barely an improvement (in streamlining) over the standard extra hose unit.

I ran across the that "air buddy" regulator online, and I was thinking of trying it since it is really compact. But now I am thinking it is a little too minimalist. Mostly I don't like that I can't breathe out through it. But have to exhale out the side of my mouth.

So here is my question:
Has anybody taken a really nice second stage regulator like the cyclon one I mentioned above, and integrated it into their BCD inflator?
I could get some kind of a hose splitter, or have a machinist make a hose splitter if they are not available. And hook a really nice regulator onto the bcd inflator hose? And if I got a Cyclon for my primary, they would even match.

I know this going to come off as shallow, but I don't want to start off looking like some kind of a James Bond bad a_ _ with my backplate, and other cool gear, and then have this big brick of plastic with yellow, or red or turquoise buttons hanging over my left shoulder. I think an integrated all metal cyclon would look way cooler. And it would be a very high quality backup. Just as good as the primary. It would have to be better than that the low end free flowing bright yellow crud I have been renting.

What do you think? Is it doable?

Buy two of the same regs, then use second stage on a first stage you are diving. then get a longer hose for primary. save other first stage for when you double up with twin tanks.

Keep it simple, I have air2 and love them, so eventually you will have all in time.

Happy Diving

Sounds awesome, one piece harness and backplate.. you will definitely be looking sharp! What color nylon webbing did you choose?

Just a note though on primary regulators. I am not sure about the one your looking at but most of them have a tendency to free flow when the mouthpiece is pointed to the surface. Id definately research which one you are looking at first.

I use an Octo-Z which is simliar to an air 2 and have had no problems with it. If your looking at using a home modified regulator that when all said in done is not going to be much more compact if any at all why not use something thats proven?

Black webbing. I am going for an all black with metal accents. Even my wetsuit is mostly black. No stripes of color on the sides or anything. Trying to not look all flashy with the dayglo colors on the components.
What about grafting a primary second stage into the inflater on my wing to make a custom air2?
Good idea or bad idea?

Ellis, I just wish they would make an all metal air2. Maybe I should just try the Air Buddy. I would only be out 40 bucks if I don't like it.

Note to equipment manufacturers: Make an integrated inflater/backup that is sleek and metal bodied.
Out of the plastic ones, the black Zeagle Octo-Z is starting to grow on me though.

Black webbing. I am going for an all black with metal accents. Even my wetsuit is mostly black. No stripes of color on the sides or anything. Trying to not look all flashy with the dayglo colors on the components.
What about grafting a primary second stage into the inflater on my wing to make a custom air2?
Good idea or bad idea?

Ellis, I just wish they would make an all metal air2. Maybe I should just try the Air Buddy. I would only be out 40 bucks if I don't like it.

Note to equipment manufacturers: Make an integrated inflater/backup that is sleek and metal bodied.
Out of the plastic ones, the black Zeagle Octo-Z is starting to grow on me though.

I have the black Octo-Z with they yellow buttons on it and its really nice. The problem with metal is more companies are making more and more products out of plastic I am not sure why except they claim its cheaper.

Youll love the OCTO-Z though :)

Has anybody taken a really nice second stage regulator like the cyclon one I mentioned above, and integrated it into their BCD inflator?
I could get some kind of a hose splitter, or have a machinist make a hose splitter if they are not available. And hook a really nice regulator onto the bcd inflator hose? And if I got a Cyclon for my primary, they would even match.

Believe you're well on your way to revolutionizing minimalist diving. Be sure to post pictures. Would love to see close ups of the integrated regulator/BCD inflator. Would really like to see pictures of it being used. Great stuff.

In reference to your primary/secondary question. Most tec folk dive the same reg as their 2nd regardless if it is their primary or secondary. So no, it would not look at all odd.

But they would not put it on the inflator. Just creates an unnecessary failure point. What length hose will you use on the primary? I dive the same reg on both. A HOG second. Primary on a 7ft hose and octo bungeed under my chin. Cleaner and more streamlined, yet more convenient than any AIR2 type set up I've seen. But I'd like to see pics as well if you do try to do something along those lines. Preferably before you dive it.

If you are going for as streamlined as possible forget the octo and just use a single reg and make sure you know how to buddy breathe. Then you don't need an extra second stage.

I used to dive with cyclons as primary and secondary. The cyclon makes a great AAS because it is side exhaust... so you don't have problems with orientation when donating.

The only issue I have with Poseidon regs is the availability of spares/service internationally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom