Harness Query. To the left or to the right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ste Wart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been ScubaBoard stalking a bit the last few days and I've noticed a few things about peoples rigs.
I think I'm going to be in the overwhelming minority on this one.
I've configured the waist buckle of my harness open to the left, in order to avoid confusion with / accidental opening of the weight belt. It's something I picked up from my Trimix instructor and I can see the worth in it. I tech dive a lot in wet suits and it's easier to wear a weight belt than mess around with differing V-weights; I also don't like to weight my stages.
Anybody else go to the left?

I can definitely see the logic behind it.. Out of curiosity how much weight are you wearing on a tropical dive? Ss or alum backplate ? Why not move the weights to the harness using weight pouches and completely discard the belt.

If I need a weight belt it is under my harness so wether it is left or right is irrelevant beacause either is a bitch to ditch.

I can definitely see the logic behind it.. Out of curiosity how much weight are you wearing on a tropical dive? Ss or alum backplate ? Why not move the weights to the harness using weight pouches and completely discard the belt.

Normally I wear no weight when I dive my Alum and a 3mm shorty.

But when I dive a 5mm long I need to wear at around 3 - 4 kilos, more with a twinset.

If I need a weight belt it is under my harness so wether it is left or right is irrelevant beacause either is a bitch to ditch.

As it should be. If I am doing deco, I'm not dropping my weights - assuming I'm wearing any. I'll do it on the surface if I have to do it at all.

If the harness buckle opens to the left, that inplies it's on the right side length of webbing.

This wouldn't work for me (or the folks we dive with), since the light can is slid onto the right side.

All the best, James

When I first started diving in 1981 the typical configuration was a horse-collar BC with a separate weight belt and back pack with harness. It was common practice to have the buckles release in the opposite direction to avoid confusion in an emergency.

Currently, I dive a Halcyon stainless steel backplate and I don't need any additional weight even with double AL80's in a drysuit in salt water with light underwear. With thick underwear I prefer steel tanks or V-weights.

Right hand releases on both my harness and weight belt - I don't want to confuse a potential rescuer.

Never had an issue confusing the two underwater, since I have to release the harness to release the belt anyways.

When I absolutely must wear a weight belt, I thread it the same way as my harness. Even if they undo my harness, I won't be coming out that easily and they will see that my weight belt hasn't dropped, so hopefully they will have the brainpower to undo my weight belt and then redo my harness. Of course, ditching my weight belt without undoing my harness is a PITA.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom