Harness Query. To the left or to the right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACBs are not a bad idea, but unfortunately I don't have the real estate on my harness for them :wink:

Yeah they take up a bit of room - if I wanted to take my can light with me I'd have to do something else; probably V or STA weights since I don't rate having ditchable weight very highly

Yeah they take up a bit of room - if I wanted to take my can light with me I'd have to do something else; probably V or STA weights since I don't rate having ditchable weight very highly

I tend not to carry my light on my harness. Instead, I have found that some of the harnesses for suit inflator bottles which attach directly to the plate fit a light can beautifully.

I've been ScubaBoard stalking a bit the last few days and I've noticed a few things about peoples rigs.
I think I'm going to be in the overwhelming minority on this one.
I've configured the waist buckle of my harness open to the left, in order to avoid confusion with / accidental opening of the weight belt. It's something I picked up from my Trimix instructor and I can see the worth in it. I tech dive a lot in wet suits and it's easier to wear a weight belt than mess around with differing V-weights; I also don't like to weight my stages. Anybody else go to the left?

Why and how would you weight your stages? I've never heard of this before.

Ive seen people dive weighted stages and never really sure why. Yes it'd help the annoying floating with some especially stages with He but i wouldnt want that as part of my required diving weight for obvious reasons.

I've seen weighted stages in a few places.
A lot of the Techies in Dahab used to dive them this way and I've seen it in Utila as well.
I guess it's to stop the 'floaty' feeling after they've been used. People tend to use cam-bands with the weights threaded onto them so that they grip enough. It's also possible to do this on a set of doubles, instead of using a -v-weight.
Now all the guys that use this method keep their stages in place throughout the dive. The stages are not transferred to the left (or right? don't know DIR) so the trim remains the same throughout.

I suppose in theory you could weight each stage that when empty it was exactly neutrally buoyant (with regs attached) so the net change would be zero when you remove one.
No idea why im just against the idea as i dont see it as useful.

(you do see it a lot in Dahab, mainly polish and russian divers for some reason)

OK. Just never heard of that.

Depends how floaty and how many. 3 of them i tend to find really annoying especially if there's He in them. With enough i can actually feel me pushing head down trim.

After readingthis yesterday, I started looking at some footage of some local RB guys. One of them had weighted bailouts. Huh.
I still don"t see me ever weighting mine. I like them floating back out of my way.

Back
Top Bottom