Harness Query. To the left or to the right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been ScubaBoard stalking a bit the last few days and I've noticed a few things about peoples rigs.
I think I'm going to be in the overwhelming minority on this one.
I've configured the waist buckle of my harness open to the left, in order to avoid confusion with / accidental opening of the weight belt. It's something I picked up from my Trimix instructor and I can see the worth in it. I tech dive a lot in wet suits and it's easier to wear a weight belt than mess around with differing V-weights; I also don't like to weight my stages.
Anybody else go to the left?

I used to go left. These days though i just go middle as ive got more room to adjust for different suits without the effort of re-doing the harness. Right isnt an option for me as the pocket on my waistband takes up all the space.

Other options to avoid confusing with a weight belt are (i) put the clip on the other side so its a left hand release not a right hand release or (ii) put the weight belt upside down so it's left hand release.

I used to go left. These days though i just go middle as ive got more room to adjust for different suits without the effort of re-doing the harness. Right isnt an option for me as the pocket on my waistband takes up all the space.

Other options to avoid confusing with a weight belt are (i) put the clip on the other side so its a left hand release not a right hand release or (ii) put the weight belt upside down so it's left hand release.

No, I meant my clip is upside-down so it opens to the left.

Of course, ditching my weight belt without undoing my harness is a PITA

I never wear a weight belt - if I do dive colder water/thicker wetsuits I have Halcyon ACB pockets - but I like the method of wearing one over/under ie under your crotch strap at the front where you can see it and over it at the back where you can't; seems like that would be the best of both worlds in terms of limiting the risk of dropping it unintentionally versus making it easier to ditch when you needed to

In that case yes, ive done that (although with weight belt upside down). I think my wetsuit harness/plate still has it that way.

Really with any sort of technical diving the last thing you wan is weight ditching so its not really a factor to consider! My crotch strap has saved me a few times recreationally from it dropping off on its own.

doesnt the weightbelt make you leg heavy? If ur trim is good then makes perfectly sense!!

It can, but you can compensate for poor equipment trim using body posture. It's the only way I can trim out my long HP120 tank. Using a weight belt, you can also take a minute on the bottom to move it around for proper trim if it is throwing you off.

Peace,
Greg

I never wear a weight belt - if I do dive colder water/thicker wetsuits I have Halcyon ACB pockets - but I like the method of wearing one over/under ie under your crotch strap at the front where you can see it and over it at the back where you can't; seems like that would be the best of both worlds in terms of limiting the risk of dropping it unintentionally versus making it easier to ditch when you needed to

ACBs are not a bad idea, but unfortunately I don't have the real estate on my harness for them :wink:

Peace,
Greg

A lot of replies seem to be placed around ditching weights. Which wasn't really my intention. However on a dive it might be necessary to remove your harness. So if both weight belt & harness open the same way you could, accidentally ,open both. This is my rational for having the harness buckle upside down.

A lot of replies seem to be placed around ditching weights. Which wasn't really my intention. However on a dive it might be necessary to remove your harness. So if both weight belt & harness open the same way you could, accidentally ,open both. This is my rational for having the harness buckle upside down.

Exactly the same reason i did it - i could ditch the harness and tanks without risking the belt going. (I still wear a belt on twins. Even with v-weights and p-weights).

I rig my harness clip U/D also, as per attached image. It keeps me from confusing the two free ends. Not a big issue to me, personal choice.

I use the weight belt mostly for trim. It is well hidden under my rig. An accidental weight belt release would be bad. If I had to drop the belt for some unforseen reason, I'd release the crotch strap first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom