Hardcore fishermen in Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not continue to fish? These guys were not stupid for continuing to fish after finding the head. After all, the head's dead and not shedding its forensic evidence by the minute. With an old deteriorated head like the one they found no authorities are gonna' spring into action with their hair on fire when the head arrives. It's gonna "get in line" at the morgue. Rushing it ashore just isn't important.
They were stupid to tell anyone they continued to fish, for there are enough folks whose priorities are so completely upside-down that these guys will be vilified for their "insensitivity." That's already apparent from the newspaper article.
Aside from some emotional need for immediate action, in this case it just wasn't warranted. I vote for continued fishing (or diving).
Rick

I would have continued to fish, but would have called the coast guard out to pick the head up from my boat, given them a statement as I'm casting out my line, and continued my fishing, just pausing long enough to wave good bye as they drove away with the head.

Not sure why they didn't just call the Coasties. Surely they weren't that far offshore without a VHF radio? Or maybe they were....

Tom

Maybe they did call the Coasties. Maybe the Coasties figured it wasn't worth burning $5K in fuel and wear & tear on their vessel to retrieve a rotten head an hour earlier than it'd arrive at the pier anyway.
Rick

that wouldn't be standard government behavior or thinking though....

Sadly, we've gotten away from the good old days when you were more likely to find bales instead of bodies.
As long as migrant smuggling remains profitable, tragedies such as these will continue. Time for the politicians to change some of these arcane travel restrictions and immigration policies.

Sorry if this sounds like a soap box, I'll get of it.

you ever taste Mahi Mahi?..... yum yum. It would be hard to give up fishing for Mahi Mahi:D

Fellas,
Body parts and body's found floating in salt or fresh water in South Florida isn't a rarity by a long shot. Such is the life down there. :tree: Bob.

Back
Top Bottom