Diver (Snorkeler) struck by charter fishing boat in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LandonL

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have read across a few articles trying to learn more, I believe the victim was snorkeling (not diving as the article claims) by one of the piers in Key West with a friend.

It appears he was hit by a boat and had a significant portion of his left foot partially amputated by the prop. Evidence of this can be seen in the video at the link, so a warning about it being a bit graphic.

FWC and MCSO are investigating, and from the evidence it appears both individuals in the water were displaying dive flags when the boat in question struck one of them at an elevated speed. The driver of the boat pulled the man on board and returned to the dock to meet EMS crew.

Based on Florida law the driver of this boat is most definitely liable for the victims injuries. I am wondering how a licensed commercial fishermen would be responsible for this... and I also hope they revoke his license in the least. The victim has a long road of recovery ahead.

Links provided below, and a GoFundMe account has been setup by his family here:
Click here to support Davids recovery and travel fund by Beverly Bair-Eisenhart

Snorkeler seriously injured when hit by boat off Key West
Key West Diver Run Over by Charter Fishing Boat

As a boater AND scuba diver, I know there are conditions when that if parameters are just right, can drastically reduce viability of certain objects....IF the sun is up, and at a certain direction, you would never see a dive flag in certain conditions. Just throwing that out there.

The white street pier faces S-SE and he came from a marina on the northside around to the west. It was early morning (830 am) so he may have had the sun in his face, but I believe if I were driving my boat into the sun, near shore, I would be a bit more vigilant and reduce speed to a manageable level where I could react to changing circumstances. There were also two dive flags in the water, likely with atleast some space between them providing different angles of visibility, and this accident obviously happened very close to shore within the sight of people on the pier who witnessed the whole thing.

While I do understand what you are saying, I still think the fault is on the captain. Kind of like if you run a stop sign and T-bone a car, "the sun was in my eyes" doesn't relinquish you of fault.

I'm not trying to remove fault from the captain. That being said, it certainly is an accident, but it might be hard to find criminal fault. It doesn't sound like it. Now, I would be leary to dive 600' from a commercially or recreation pier, and I can't imagine snorkeling near one. It's just too risky. I live near a very active seaport (and lake too) in Maine. Snorkeling in an area like that hear would be suicide. I've been to key west, there must be a ton of boat traffic there as well I would assume.

It's unfortunate for the snorkeler for sure.

Oh no, I agree with you, didn't mean to sound like I didn't. It is an accident, and FL law is clear as well, the captain is at fault and liable. I am just assuming the guy was snorkeling, as I think that is what one of the witnesses on video said, and he doesn't appear to be dressed for diving as the article title actually says.

There is a lot of boat traffic around dive sites here in Florida, an unfortunately many people on the water don't understand the 'rules of the road' so to speak. I have seen boats hit a dive flag at full throttle, unwrap the line from the prop, toss it back in the water, and take off again like nothing happened. You can tell by the look on their face they don't even realize what this strange thing caught in their prop is. I have also seen waverunners using them as racemark buoys around here.

Last edited:
Real bummer when these things happen....

very bad accident.... i wish him and his family a speedy recover.

Back
Top Bottom