Hard weights in a weight integrated BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found a good buy on hard weights. $1.65 a pound with free shipping. The seller says using them in a weight intigrated BC is fine & convenient.

What do you all think?

It should be fine with any weight integration system. I've used hard weights with my Zeagle BC with no problems.

You shouldn't have any issues using hard weights in an integrated weight BC. They can actually be nicer. They are easier to get out of the pouches. Adding and removing softweights in certain pouches can be a real PITA.

At that price, it's worth a shot! :D

:zen:

You shouldn't have any issues using hard weights in an integrated weight BC. They can actually be nicer. They are easier to get out of the pouches. Adding and removing softweights in certain pouches can be a real PITA.

At that price, it's worth a shot! :D

:zen:

I have found some BC's to be terrible with soft weights. I have seen students have them slip out because the velcro flap wasn't quite tight enough and the soft weight slipped out. The Hard weights can't change shape so in some cases, they tend to stay in better in my opinion.

I use hard weights in my Zeagle ranger yellow "thingys" (Technical term). Are you buying them new at that price? If it is someone that would want to sell more please post.

Soft weights were initially introduced for their comfort when worn in a belt around the waist. Hard weights in BC's shouldn't cause a comfort issue. I use hard weights in my Sherwood Avid with no problems. They're easier to rinse off after a dive. And yes, soft weights are a pain to get into the pouches.

Soft weights are bigger and for a given weight, won't slide around inside the weight pocket as much. OTOH, simply using 2 hard weights per pocket also keep them from sloshing around inside the pocket while doing underwater acrobatics.

I've found that the corner of hard weights eventually put wear on the fabric of the weight pouch, but that is only after 300 or 400 dives and many hours of bouncing around on a boat. At that point, it's a good idea to replace the pocket in order to get fresh velcro anyway, so it isn't really all that big of an issue.

Soft weights are also messy in that they leach out a small amount of lead as well as being harder to rinse off. I stopped using soft weights after seeing the deposits they were leaving in my car trunk.

Charlie Allen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom