Hard to breathe upside down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Legend LX and I don't notice much (if any) difference when I'm upside down, but there is a hugh difference when I roll over on my back (so to speak) looking at the roof of a lava tube and such. I really have to draw the air out. Not a big deal once you are aware of it, but the first few times got my attention!!

I think "on his back" was what the OP meant by "upside down".

Usually doesn't make much sense to be completely inverted although I'll be ice diving soon and I really want to walk upside down on the ice! (Quote)

I notice that when inverted such that my feet point to the sky, that it is bit harder to exhale. That's not the reg, but just the fact that my mouth is at the deepest point. (Another Quote)

I didn't get that impression from his post or others!

I also have an Aqualung legend at it breathes just fine regardless of which position I'm in.

However, I have used plenty of regs that don't work so well upside down. Apart from the pressure differential required to open the valve - which is small - being inverted often allows water to flow into the regulator through the exhaust.

It is not abnormal for regs to not work so well upside down, but it shouldn't be "very hard" to breath from, especially with a quality regulator like the legend. I suggest you get it serviced and have somebody tweak the intermediate pressure back to perfect.

Cheers

C.

I dive a Mares MR22 Abyss and it breathes just as well upside down as it does right side up. That said, I have rented, on occasion and those regs did not perform as well in different positions. The Aqualung is a good reg and I suspect that with a service "tweak" it may be just fine, as Crowley so aptly stated. Good luck and happy diving!
:D

I have a legend and have not noticed any issues when upside down (head down, feet up). Sometimes that's the only way to see stuff :D. My Scubapro X650 though, that thing was like a funnel when inverted.

If you are going to be ice walking upside down, how about pulling your reg and reinserting it upside down, in other words you would be upside down, but your reg would actually be right side up.

I would have thought in an advanced scuba course they might have covered this basic knowledge but, all, all, scuba regulators, past and present, conform to the chart below:

single_vs_double_hose.jpg

N

If you are going to be ice walking upside down, how about pulling your reg and reinserting it upside down, in other words you would be upside down, but your reg would actually be right side up.

...Interesting idea! I'll definitely try that. Maybe The main reg has too short of a hose to be twisted that way I but should be able to pull it off with the octo. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom