Harbor Patrol officer among two killed during Catalina storm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
catalina-beached-boats.jpg

[h=2]Authorities Confirm Water-Related Deaths of 2 Men On Catalina Island
Two people have died on Catalina Island, including a harbor patrol officer who was involved in a boating incident, authorities said Wednesday morning. Homicide detectives were en route to Green Pleasure Pier in Avalon Harbor to investigate the death of the harbor patrolman, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement. A second man died in a “water-related incident,” a spokesperson for the county coroner’s office said. It was not immediately clear if the two victims died in the same incident. “Our thoughts are w/ the family friends of the Avalon Harbor Patrol Officer,” the county Fire Department’s Lifeguard Division said on Twitter. “Very sad news coming out of Catalina this morning #RIP.” High winds Tuesday night caused rough seas into the island’s Avalon Harbor, where several boats became unmoored and beached, the National Weather Service said.[/h]

That sucks, Rest in Peace.

It appears that when 2 boats go up on the beach like that, it's because one of them was inadequately anchored and it drug across the other boats mooring line and fouled it, tripping the second boat's anchor. I was anchored in the Dry Tortugas one May, and the harbor is notoriously bad holding ground, too much silt, not enough sand, but I can anchor in about anything and hold. A sailboat with a dinghy trailing slipped her anchor and crossed my anchor line, but I was buried so deep it didn't trip me, although we started engines as a precaution. The sailboat smashed into my hull over and over and we told them to cut their line, but they wouldn't. They didn't sink, but their boat was a TCL by the time it was over, and my paint was all scratched up.

Oh what a terrible tragedy.

From the Scuba Luv FB page, the news is even worse. Both dead men are Scuba Luv-related and one of those boats was their King Neptune dive boat.

Catalina Scuba Luv feeling devastated

Scuba Luv is suffering the loss of longtime instructor-son, Tim Mitchell to a furious Nor'easter storm. While serving as an Avalon Harbor Department Patrolman, Tim courageously attempted to save the King Neptune as she parted four mooring lines and was swept to Step Beach. The resultant crash took Tim's life. We will be in touch shortly regarding future plans in light of the loss of the King Neptune, but right now we are obviously grieving the loss of a son and sending our condolences to his family, en route from England and New Zealand.

Scuba Luv also grieves the loss of Bruce Ryder, long time Scuba Luv family member and former King Neptune captain and dive master. Bruce was lost in the same storm that claimed Tim and the King Neptune, but in an unrelated incident. There are no words to describe the devastation, and the Scuba Luv family appreciates your thoughts at this difficult time.

Please God grant some peace for Bob and Tina, our hearts hurt for both of them, R.I.Peace Tim and Bruce... We're all one ohana. I know this hurts Island side and mainland too!

Be Safe Out There!

Last edited:
The loss of both Tim and Bruce was indeed extremely sad and ironic in that both were captains of the King Neptune. The vessel itself ended up in small splinters for the most part with nothing left intact. Of course boats can be replaced... people can't. Tim was originated certified by my #1 dive Buddy Andrea back when they both lived in New Zealand. Tim was an excellent instructor and musician. He was also an Avalon firefighter, harbor patrolman and the one I trusted to service my regulators and other gear. Bruce was often seen down at the dive park with his dog who loved to take a swim with all the bubble breathers.

I went down yesterday morning to film the wreckage of the vessel in case Bob & Tina needed it for insurance purposes. I thought they were still at their daughters for the holidays. This is what I found instead of a boat:

wreckage 2014-12-31-as.jpg

Here is another shot I took of the main beach from the pier once they reopened the Pleasure Pier to foot traffic:

junk 2014-12-31-as.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom