Happy Texas Independence Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And how many of you know that March 2 is also Sam Houston's birthday? He's the most versatile leader in American history. In appr. chronological order: commanding officer (adjutant general) of a state militia (Tennessee -- after having enlisted as a private); U.S. congressman (Tennessee); state governor of TWO states (Tennessee and Texas); Cherokee tribal envoy to Washington; commanding general (Texas Army); president of a nation (twice -- Republic of Texas); state legislator (Texas); U.S. senator (Texas). He was also an attorney and a blacksmith. But I'm not sure that when the Texians signed the Declaration of Independence on this date in 1836 at Washington-on-the-Brazos (near present-day Navasota), that they really intended to make it a birthday present for ol' Sam.

WaterWayne:
And how many of you know that March 2 is also Sam Houston's birthday?

As a graduate of Sam Houston High School here in Arlington, yes, I did know that. In fact, our alumni association is hosting our third annual Sam Houston birthday celebration/Spring Fling Saturday night. Should be a lot of fun.

ScubaTexan:
There are two kinds of people in the world -- those that are Texans and those that wish they were... :)

Texas born and bred, and proud of it! Happy Independence Day, y'all!

chairmanTARAC:
Washington on the Brazos 1836 Four days later we lose the Alamo

I figure if they keep showing The Alamo on TV over and over again, sooner or later, we're bound to win... :laughing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom