Hangin in San Carlos, Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your response Rob. As you mention the shore diving is very hit and miss so San Pedro is definitely the way to go. A friend went out there on a local dive boat the other day. He is a solo diver who is very experienced. He told the captain that he would tie onto the anchor line and do some deep diving.
The anchor was at 80 feet and he went down to 165 feet and was starting back up when he noticed the anchor line moving so he had to cut his line. The boat apparently was off to rescue four divers off another dive boat that got stuck in the current, plus his gf who was snorkeling! Apparently there are a lot of safety issues here and one really has to rely on oneself and buddies to stay safe!

I've had a similar issue. I was on a dive there a few years back and came back to find the anchor line gone. The boat had moved about 200 yards away to get out of the current. We had to swim against the current, which had changed on us, to get back to the boat. I wasn't all that happy about the situation.

As for the guiness record, I believe it's somewhere in the 900 range. Someone in the states (I believe Ohio) is trying to break it next year. There's a thread here on the 'Board about it.

And the life in Cortez isn't really about the coral. Move slow and look for the macros. I've seen a couple of sea horses in San Carlos, along with a lot of other small life. You just have to look. Also, I've seen the biggest morays there as well, usually at night.

Thanks Rob I am sure you are right. I couldn't find the Guinness Record online. Anyway it was disappointing and costly for the sponsors. I note that they laid down 8 bouys and have abandoned them at the site so they are drifting around the bay!
I have heard you can see hammerheads out at San Pedro which would be wonderful. I will keep my eyes open for macros....the last time I did that was off Sipadan at Kapalai Island where we watching mandarin fish mating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom