Hang Em High

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Never happened in freshwater... but now I'm bringing my drysuit out to sea and the latex neck seal is giving me this rash across the front of my neck that burns like a *******.

The fact that it didn't happen in freshwater, nor is it happening on my wrists confirms, to me, that I'm not allergic to the latex. Am I allergic to latex + sea air + sun + cooler than quarry diving? That's just crazy talk.

Is it too tight? Doesn't feel too tight.

Any ideas?

Might not be the suit. You might have some jellyfish stuff got caught up there & are reacting to it. You might try getting a light hood with a skirt so it'll tuck into the neck seal & see it the problem goes away.

May be "Sea Lice".

Most likely cnidarian larvae (jelly fish). They are almost microscopic.

The larvae affect you most where they get trapped. Under a t-shirt, the waist band of swimming trunks, where your dry suit neck seal meets your neck.

You can treat it with an antihistamine, such diphenhydramine, for the itching and the application of an over-the-counter 0.5% hydrocortisone cream to the rash areas.

I would rinse off well first since any unfired nematocysts on the larvae may fire on contact.

Here is a liink with some good info, Neck Rash Thread.

The short story is I delt with this for years with very limited success trying different cures. The end result was a neoprene neck seal. I am VERY happy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom