Handmade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had trouble finding an off the shelf wetsuit that fit me everywhere. I found it easy to find a Farmer John that fit me fine (Monterey Bay is my "home base" dive area) but I could not find a jacket that fit me comfortably. I opted to get a custom made wetsuit from Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey. It cost me almost $200 more than a good off the shelf Henderson Gold Core on sale. On the plus side, I was able to select colors that I like, and it fits perfectly. The arms are long enough, and the chest fits nicely. I don't have big air pockets anywhere. On one of my first dives with the custom suit I paid attention, and I was in the water 9 minutes before I felt water all the way up my legs and arms.

Also I was able to get custom horns added to my hood. As soon as I figure out how to shrink images to post, I will show off my outfit. *smiling* There is no question who is who underwater! At a recent dive in Lake Tahoe I met some people that remembered me from a Monterey dive. Sometimes it is good to be unforgetable.

The only other downside is that I will have to wait longer to justify buying a drysuit after spending so much on the custom wetsuit.

Otter Bay can make a custom suit for anyone anywhere, but you would be better off getting one made where they can see you in person.

Just my two pence, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

While I can certainly agree that going some where to be seen for a custom suit would be the best option, Carolyn made my sons suit sight unseen. She stayed on the phone with my wife and I during the measuring process. Neither of us design or make clothes ourself, but when JP's suit arrived it fit perfectly. Carolyn can also alter the suit in the future for you to accomidate futuresettling due to gravities pull.

All in all I would highly recommend Carolyn and Liquid Fit if you are in the market for a custom. I can't recall her pricing on the adult suits, but I thought that is was comprable to the manufacturer's list on most suits.

John

Theres a problem here really.

If you plan to dive in the UK regulary its a dry suit.

Occasionall summer diving in the UK its a 7mm+7mm semi dry.

Even if the suit is ok in the water ive seen people curled up on the deck shivering during the surface interval and seen people shaking on deco stops. Its not pleasant.

Abroad however you'll probably need a 5mm or even a 3mm suit which wont be warm enough for UK diving any time of year.

Basically you have to decide where you are going to dive and buy appropriately.

Remember of course, abroad you can rent suits (ive done this).

As for manufacturers, Northern Diver springs to mind - im not sure they do MTM but they do have a very large number of sizes to choose from.

http://www.diveshop.co.uk/pages/wetsuits.html

You will pay more for custom fit, its worth bearing that in mind.

In short then, a suit suitable for UK diving would be overkill for diving abroad and a suit such as a 5mm wet for abroad would be unsuitable to the point of dangerous in the UK at some times of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom