Handmade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Victoria

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
Need a little guidance. I want to buy a wetsuit, good quality that will last... i also want it in a specific colour.... i am happy to buy 'off the rack' but i want a suit that fits 'like a glove' so have been thinking about getting one taylor made... what are peeps views on handmade suits? Also im based in the UK so has anyone got a contact that may be able to help?
Cheers!

are nearly always superior in terms of fit and comfort. Many wetsuit manufacturers offer custom wetsuits, so finding a manufacturer you prefer is more a matter of cost and convenience than scarcity.

Ummm, I've never been diving in the UK, so don't know anything about it...but from what I've read on this board many UK divers use drysuits - at least in UK waters!

A drysuit will typically still keep you much warmer than a custom-measured wetsuit in cold water, depending on how deep or long your dives are.

Scan some of the many threads on this subject for input as well (using the 'search' button at the top of the page). Custom wetsuits (and drysuits) are very commonly discussed, and some excellent websites and links are provided in these past threads regarding products found to be superior by women who were seeking custom wetsuits.

Best of luck to you!

Doc

thanks for the quick reply! When i said i was based in the UK i meant in terms of suppliers/manufacturers... Im not planning on doing the majority of my diving here.. ill stick to the warmer climates! (for now anyway!)

A wetsuit will likely work nicely for you.

I did not mean to suggest that the subject had been exhaustively covered, by sending you to the 'search' function. Rather, the number of past threads that provide valuable information (websites and key details) is high enough in the archives that you may well find several promising manufacturers to contact that way alone. Obviously you're not the first woman to be seeking a custom wetsuit! You could profit from the research of the others...I do not recall all those that were highly praised, but do recall that at least three or four suits were considered really superior by a significant percentage of the women divers on this board.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doc

I recently had a custom suit made for my son, who had a lot of trouble fitting into an off the rack suit. We contacted Carolyn at Liquidfit.com and she made my son James an awesome suit. JP was able to pick the colors and options including zippers on the wrist and ankles. He also choose to order a hooded vest.

Contact Carolyn at Liquidfit.com or (800)785-8362 and she can walk you through the process. What you will end up with is a custom suit that fits like a glove, because the suit was built specifically for you and your frame.l

Mitten Diver once bubbled...
I recently had a custom suit made for my son, who had a lot of trouble fitting into an off the rack suit. We contacted Carolyn at Liquidfit.com and she made my son James an awesome suit. JP was able to pick the colors and options including zippers on the wrist and ankles. He also choose to order a hooded vest.

Contact Carolyn at Liquidfit.com or (800)785-8362 and she can walk you through the process. What you will end up with is a custom suit that fits like a glove, because the suit was built specifically for you and your frame.l
I looked thru every page of the website and not one picture of a wet suit except for the one on the home page, I really would have been interested in finding out more if they showed me some cool images of what other people had done. :-(

Hi

There are a few that I can think of in the UK, predator, northern Diver and otter (the latter primarily do drysuits but I believe do wetsuits as well). Alternatively have a look in at the back of one of the dive magazines (if you don't subscribe, let me know and I'll have a quick look for you).

Where do you dive normally ? If you go to big dive resorts a lot of them will have a local company that will make a suit a lot cheaper than in the UK so you could consider buying one then, e.g. maltaqua.

The catch with a lot of the mtm can be the look and the price. I cheated and got a cheap off the peg suit that I liked the look of and nearly fitted and then sent it away for a couple of minor alterations.

If you choose that route then talk to predator, I sent them my measuremnts and the suit and they checked them all and reccomended a couple of minor changes to make it equivalent to a mtm. Total cost £225 for a 5mm semidry almost mtm and a shortie and hood.

Cheers

Conor

I think that Carolyn @ Liquid Fit is in the process of adding pictures to her website. She emailed me some so that I could see suits she had done.

I don't know if this is for publication, yet, but she told me that she is going to be working with Dive Goddess. Can't wait to see that!!!!!

Is it worth investing in a custom made wetsuit? What are the pros.. and cons (if there are any!) Cheers for the links... ive actually found a place in Devon (secondskin) that have a pretty good rep and a good range.

Pros, better fit, therefore warmer and better looking fit wise

Cons, more expensive and the risk of dealing with smaller companies.

But if you have found acompany with a good reputation then thats problem solved, providing the price is alright

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom