Handheld Primary Light Options (Cave)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally don't use lumens to rate a light, watts tends to be more accurate,
I am sure they get their 3800 number, question is at what distance from the led is it measured. That's the trick

Luminous flux (units of lumens) is TOTAL output, aka brightness. @Rol diy, I believe you're thinking of Illuminance (units of lux which is lumens per area), which is the quantity that depends on beam size (and therefore distance).

Watts are units of power, not brightness. They are no good for brightness comparison because of differing efficiencies.

ORCATORCH D630

Be carful with the lower cost Chinese lights. You get what you pay for. Check my post about the D530 Orcatorch D530 Review (does not work below 35m)

I don't know about the button the D630 but the D530 is horrible. Sticks after 35m making the light useless. I messaged Orcatorch about it and they just said "sorry to hear that"

As @tbone1004 and others have said I would highly recommend UWLD. I have the LD40 and absolutely love it! Also UWLD actually makes there lights in the USA and they actually stand behind there product and they are UN38.8 certified for air travel and UWLD will send you the test certificate. I recently had an issue with my light head and Bobby sent one the next day via FedEx Express all the way to a remote area of Indonesia to get me up and going again. Top notch company. They are like the Shearwater of lights.

Luminous flux (units of lumens) is TOTAL output, aka brightness. @Rol diy, I believe you're thinking of Illuminance (units of lux which is lumens per area), which is the quantity that depends on beam size (and therefore distance).

Watts are units of power, not brightness. They are no good for brightness comparison because of differing efficiencies.
Wasn't getting that complicated, I am sure in general there is small differences in led output and lux, I generally don't really worry about it to much, normally in practice you can tell if a light is a nice beam right color especially when comparing 2 lights at the same time,
Size wize I want to know volts and amps,
Preferably at the led and from the battery,
But usually battery side is the easiest,
I know it's not checking efficiency, of driver, led, lens etc, but it gives a fairly true number that a layman can use,

Lux and lumen numbers always seem to be played with, and made to say what ever the manufacturer wants it to say,
I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that it because they change the bench mark so everyone uses what ever distance they want,

I am sure you are much smarter than me in this area, but voltage and amps
Give me specs that don't lie, to me,
That I can use in real life,:)

I personally don't use lumens to rate a light, watts tends to be more accurate,
I am sure they get their 3800 number, question is at what distance from the led is it measured. That's the trick

please explain to me how measurement of power consumption is more accurate for brightness than a measurement of the total amount of visible light? You can back into lumen output but you need the rating of the emitters which is lumens/watt and then you need the total efficiency of the system *losses in the drivers, and then the optical efficiency of the lens itself which BB has very cheap lenses that are not particularly efficient*.
Now, I gave you rough watt consumption for that light, it is an average, and there are many assumptions being made, but if you have a 50wh pack that burns for 3 hours, then it's a 50/3=16.6w light. Problem is you can't discharge those batteries to 100%, and there are all sorts of efficiency losses that have to be factored in.
IF they get their 3800 number, it's for a brief second immediately as the light turns on and then it falls off like the chart in the picture. The batteries can't supply that much power for very long. If it was a true 3800 lumen then it would have about a 30min burn time on high.

Watt consumption is fine if you are comparing lights from the same manufacturer, i.e. the LD-40 and the LD-20 which are engineered the same and you have the same variables at play, but it's not fair to use those same values when comparing lights from different manufacturers and here's why.
Companies like UWLD, Dive Rite, Light Monkey, Light and Motion etc. all use constant output drivers. I.e. they consume about the same amount of power from start to finish and as such have a relatively constant light output. You can see this in the chart I posted from the LX20. When you look at lights from manufacturers that aren't quite so honest about their lights performance then you get lights like from Big Blue where they do not use constant output drivers and the out falls off drastically which is why I used the term "average" because you have not idea what the watt consumption is from start to finish. We can back into an average watt draw with some assumptions, but we can only use that as an average over the duration.

One last point about why watts are a bad unit to use. LED's have all sorts of different efficiency values depending on what is being done with them. LED's efficiency is based on the power being sent to them and it falls off as they get hot. Some manufacturers under-drive their lights to improve efficiency, and some over-drive them to maximize light output. That value can go all over the place from as low as 60lumen/watt all the way up to about 120lumen/watt which makes a comparison based on power consumption all but useless when you are comparing manufacturers or heaven forbid different generations of lights *The original LM 12W LED for example was only about 450lumen total which is less than 40 lumen/watt.
If a manufacturer claims lumen, it's the right unit to use to compare, but you have to be smart about it because Lux is also important which is the intensity of the beam in the middle. Video lights for example have very low lux, but very high lumen because there is no hotspot and it's quite wide. A laser pointer has high lux but low lumen so it's all a balance, but watts is not the right unit to use when comparing lights to one another because of the wild variation in efficiencies.

@Kate F

I used the LX20 for about a year. Nice light, pretty bright, and nice to be able to switch to a new set of batteries between dives if needed. Some other big hand helds have proprietary battery packs.

LX20 is big, though. I have small hands. I recently switched to a can light (DR EX35, 25% off Black Friday sale). One draw was the smaller, lighter weight light head on the can light. I did keep the LX20 just in case I have issues with my can light b

Be carful with the lower cost Chinese lights. You get what you pay for. Check my post about the D530 Orcatorch D530 Review (does not work below 35m)

I don't know about the button the D630 but the D530 is horrible. Sticks after 35m making the light useless. I messaged Orcatorch about it and they just said "sorry to hear that"

As @tbone1004 and others have said I would highly recommend UWLD. I have the LD40 and absolutely love it! Also UWLD actually makes there lights in the USA and they actually stand behind there product and they are UN38.8 certified for air travel and UWLD will send you the test certificate. I recently had an issue with my light head and Bobby sent one the next day via FedEx Express all the way to a remote area of Indonesia to get me up and going again. Top notch company. They are like the Shearwater of lights.
If mike young uses it…it’s good enough for me….

If mike young uses it…it’s good enough for me….
please remember that many of us, especially on the exploration teams, are given gear from manufacturers for either evaluation or just marketing purposes. It doesn't mean it's necessarily what we choose to spend our money on, just what was provided to us. I have been given lights from several manufacturers over the years including Orcatorch. Orcatorch, Big Blue, and Light Monkey are big sponsors and put a lot of their lights out in the hands of "big names" to make sure they are seen using their gear. It's not a knock against them, just keep in mind that it may well just be "it was given to me and is perfectly suitable" vs. "this is what I think is the best out there".

please remember that many of us, especially on the exploration teams, are given gear from manufacturers for either evaluation or just marketing purposes. It doesn't mean it's necessarily what we choose to spend our money on, just what was provided to us. I have been given lights from several manufacturers over the years including Orcatorch. Orcatorch, Big Blue, and Light Monkey are big sponsors and put a lot of their lights out in the hands of "big names" to make sure they are seen using their gear. It's not a knock against them, just keep in mind that it may well just be "it was given to me and is perfectly suitable" vs. "this is what I think is the best out there".
Mike was looking for a new canister light and a friend of his showed him the orca torch 630. He bought one and has been using it for a while now. Pretty sure he is using it in Cozumel this week. Just sayin.

Mike was looking for a new canister light and a friend of his showed him the orca torch 630. He bought one and has been using it for a while now. Pretty sure he is using it in Cozumel this week. Just sayin.

Has Mike been using it for the Roaring River project?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom