Hand Signals for Remaining Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I do to signal remaining gas is...I usually am holding my stomach and then I give a gesture to move back....the more gestures I give in succession..the more gas I have.

:)

If it's cold water, and we are wearing 3 finger gloves, hand signs are understandably of limited use. Thus the need for a slate and pointing to guages.

However in warmer waters, the kind that you can,t walk on, Rick Murchison described very clearly the hand signals we use. In combination with the hand signals used by PADI.

What's most interesting is watching divers who are deaf, or can converse in ASL (American Sign Language). Seems the whole question of hand signals underwater is not much of a concern to them. I just wish I knew if they were talking about me or not? Not that I'm paranoid,,,really:rolleyes:

jepuskar once bubbled...
What I do to signal remaining gas is...I usually am holding my stomach and then I give a gesture to move back....the more gestures I give in succession..the more gas I have.

:)

That was actually pretty funny

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
If it's cold water, and we are wearing 3 finger gloves, hand signs are understandably of limited use. Thus the need for a slate and pointing to guages.

However in warmer waters, the kind that you can,t walk on, Rick Murchison described very clearly the hand signals we use. In combination with the hand signals used by PADI.

What's most interesting is watching divers who are deaf, or can converse in ASL (American Sign Language). Seems the whole question of hand signals underwater is not much of a concern to them. I just wish I knew if they were talking about me or not? Not that I'm paranoid,,,really:rolleyes:

Entire SeaSigns video program is done in no finger mits!

pt40fathoms,

"I just wish I knew if they were talking about me or not? Not that I'm paranoid,,,really"

Usually, they'll point at you when they are talking about you. Of course, if you're a common topic, they'll just assign you a sign and you won't know.

Of course, you can always take classes in ASL. It's well worth the effort.

You ever watch two deaf people argue? Personally, I think its more intense than two people yelling at each other.

While arguing their hand gestures are real sharp and deliberate and forceful.

I had no idea what they were arguing about and didnt understand much, except for the occasional universal one finger sign of love. :)

Ok, I brought this up because????

budgy once bubbled...
On a lighter note when people mention dive signals it always starts me thinking of diving with the dude

Damn I hate reading stuff like that when I'm at work and I end up tearing from holding back the all out laughter...

Has O-Ring seen that? He's gonna love it!

Spectre once bubbled...

Damn I hate reading stuff like that when I'm at work and I end up tearing from holding back the all out laughter...

Has O-Ring seen that? He's gonna love it!
Just finished reading it...thanks, budgy...that is classic. Maybe we should write some of our own stuff as a creative outlet instead of hijacking threads...

I am reading part 2 now...good stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom