Hand Signals for Remaining Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
I have noticed that there are several variations of hand signals for numerals around.
What do you do to signal remaining air and/or depths?

Dave

Originally I was taught to tap your wrist for thousands with the number of fingers, and then show the hundreds on your fingers. E.g. 2400 would be tapping your wrist with 2 fingers twice, and then showing 4 fingers.

I've seen systems where you show it in hundreds on your fingers, e.g. 2400 would be five-five-five-five-four, but I never liked that method.

Another method I've seen is showing thousands, then hundreds. two-four-zero = 2400. two-five-one = 2600. zero-five-zero = 500.

However I've found that just showing your pressure guage works just fine. Showing it, pointing at it, and signaling 'query' is perfectly fine to get your buddy to show you their pressure guage.

Just as it says - I/we (my divebuddy) use hand signals, actually finger signals would be more likely. We use our fingers to identify in hundreds how much air we have. We were taught that way and have never had any problems. Although on occasions we will just look at each others gauges.

IMHO, I don't think it really matters how you communicate it as long as you and your buddy know the procedure you are using and are comfortable with it. When you are doing a "group" dive where there is a divemaster or dive guide leading the "charge" you might want to get a confirmation on what they use prior to descending.

However I've found that just showing your pressure guage works just fine. Showing it, pointing at it, and signaling 'query' is perfectly fine to get your buddy to show you their pressure guage.
I'm with you on this one Spectre, your buddy should always be close enough to you so that you don't have to use hand signals, although I use many hand signals I just don't see the need for them for this purpose.

We use the 5-5-5-X system....for instance 1800 = 5+5+5+3. If the student wants, he can show ten fingers, but more often than not, they use the fives...it is a bit annoying, but you get used to it. As for trust, I am still looking over their gauges anyway, especially on the ow check-out dives. Just because they say they have 1500 psi doesn't mean that they do.

The basic training agencies have gotten away from the basic fact of diving signals.

ANY had signal should be readable with only one hand involved in the signal. Many divers will eventually get involved in doing something besides just fish watching which will require carrying something in one hand. Be it a speargun, camera, ab iron, catch or trash bag, tools for salvage, fish ID slate,etc. there will come a time when at least one hand is busy during the entire dive. If your signal set requires the use of both hands you'll suddenly become "dumb" as soon as you pick up something. The pressure 5+5+... method is a good example of a good single hand signal, as are the out of air and sharkfin signals.

FT

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
I have noticed that there are several variations of hand signals for numerals around.

Dave

There is a lot of local variation in this. But here's what I use for buddies I know well enough form a dialect with:

During dive planning if we decide to turn around at a certain pressure (say 120 bar) then when I reach that point, I will point at the palm of my hand (gauges) and then signal "turn around" by making a circle with a finger.

At 100bar I'll indicate with slicing across the palm of my hand with the other hand. The local practice here is to make a T with your hands at 100 bar but that signal is ambiguous and I don't like it. I use it when I have to but with my regular buddies I prefer the slice.

Pointing at the palm of my hand and then at my buddy is the signal for him to tell me how much air he has.

At 50 bar I will hold up my hand and make a fist.

At other pressures from 50-100 I use 50 + fingers. so 70 is the sign for 50 + two fingers.

At pressures under 50 I signal palm (guages) + fingers. So at like 40 bar I'll point at my palm and then raise 4 fingers.

At other pressures from 100-150 I use 100 + fingers.

Over 150 and I just give OK.

If I'm carrying a lamp I often use the lens of the lamp in place of my other palm.

As for depths, it works pretty much the same way. I measure depths in metres so it's a bit easier. Say I'm at 25 metres and I want to go to 15. I'll signal "go up" by using the "go this way" sign in an upwards direction, then say "level out" and use fingers. 5 + 5 + 5.

And with that you can probably guess how I do the rest. One of the things that makes signing depths changes easier is to plan your dive so everyone knows what to expect when it comes.

:snorkel:
R..

I've seen many different systems in use, and really don't care what method is used. At our shop, we use the one hand method with one finger equalling 100 psi. That makes 2000 psi 5+5+5+5.

Of course some folks don't listen to the briefing when we cover this signalling method. Every so often some guy holds up two fingers during an air check. I respond by pushing my octo into his face and then checking his air gauge myself. Usually he meant to signal 2000, but a couple of times it did mean 200.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Dave
Three questions... (1) What do you use for numerals? I use the NSS/CDS standard - numerals 1 through 5 are fingers (and thumb for five) held vertically, 6-9 are 1 to 4 fingers held horizontally, Zero is a circle formed by thumb and forefinger, like the "OK" signal but with all four fingers curved along with the forefinger
(2) Remaining Air? Ask your buddy what his air status is by pointing to your own gauge with a circular motion of your finger. Show how much gas you have left in hundreds of pounds (or bar) - for example, 1800 psi (120bar) would be signalled by first holding up a single finger vertically, then three fingers held horizontally (by holding up a single finger vertically, then two fingers vertically, then the zero sign).
(3) Depth? Ask for current depth by the question mark with the index finger followed by the level-off signal (a short horizontal movement of the hand held flat, palm down); ask for maximum depth by the question symbol followed by the thumb down on top of a flat palm. Answer in feet (meters) using the same hand signals for numerals above, for example 60' (18M) would be one finger held horizontally followed by the zero sign (one finger held vertically followed by three fingers held horizontally).
-----------------
By the way, these are the same numerical hand signals used by tactical jet pilots flying formation.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom