Halycon Eclipse BPW a good buy at ~$700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is funny. "HOG" is starting to sound like Tourette's. What I don't get it is if someone is asking about a specific piece/brand of equipment why people can't just answer that specific question. If an OP asks for recommendations well that's different story. Still, I guess this is a public forum based largely on opinions and people have the right to post whatever they want. Anyway amusing as this thread is it's all getting a little old. It's a vicious circle, someone mentions HOG, often unsolicited, and they get jumped on, someone makes a comment about why HOG was mentioned and they get jumped on and it becomes a mosh pit. I'm out before it degenerates into the really personal. To the OP buy what ever you like the price/look of, bar human error, none of them will kill you.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 10:29 PM ----------

PS Is "Fan boy" an Americanism? I've never heard it anywhere else, I'm assuming its a negative term, it sounds a little derogatory, certainly in the context I've seen it. Cheers.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 10:30 PM ----------

Damn, now I'm going to have to revisit this thread again for the answer lol...Have a nice day everyone.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 10:29 PM ----------

PS Is "Fan boy" an Americanism? I've never heard it anywhere else, I'm assuming its a negative term, it sounds a little derogatory, certainly in the context I've seen it. Cheers.

I think Fanboi is an Internet-ism. It is certainly derogatory, and generally is aimed at people suffering from a case of Cognitive Dissonance.

For what it's worth, I have HOG regs, HOG plates, HOG 1st and 2nd gen wings, Halcyon Plates and doubles wing, and Apeks regs. I consider them at different ends of the market - in fact the HOG plate cutting thread is mine. The plates show a definite difference in quality - the Halcyon is a work of beauty, the HOG plates are obviously cheap generic plates made for a price-point.

But the wings.. there really does not seem to be any quality difference between the HOG 2nd gen wings and the Halcyon Eclipse I have. I prefer the inflator on the Halcyon, but am in love with the 23# HOG wing for tropical diving. I'm still a fan of HOG gear but my doubles kit is Halcyon & Apeks.

You are correct. As far as I know, the term "Fan Boy" or "Fanboi" is an Internet thing.
It is used to describe the tendency of fans of a brand name to constantly post how awesome "their" brand is any time there is an opportunity to inject it into a thread.
They alway shoe horn it into every thread; It certainly applies here on Scuba Board.

Although it is somewhat derogatory, it is usually meant as a funny term, which it is.

That doesn't mean that people won't get all bent out of shape about the term.

One example is in the camera world, Nikon, Canon, and Sony all have their fan boys.
Leica and Hasselblad do also....but, owners of those cameras KNOW their stuff is awesome! It's all way out of reach for me. ;-)

I don't think most people take that term too seriously. It is funny, particularly when it fits. :)

I own a HOG also.

Last edited:
I own HOG and Halcyon and I agree that the halcyon plate is a better finish. You get what you pay for. They both with work just fine. If I was going to buy another plate I would go for Halcyon. Call Wayne at dive seekers. He will take care of you.

For what it's worth, I have HOG regs, HOG plates, HOG 1st and 2nd gen wings, Halcyon Plates and doubles wing, and Apeks regs. I consider them at different ends of the market - in fact the HOG plate cutting thread is mine. The plates show a definite difference in quality - the Halcyon is a work of beauty, the HOG plates are obviously cheap generic plates made for a price-point.

Which plate is this? The steel or aluminum? My SS Hog plate came with the DRIS 28lb package and it doesn't look like the one shown on Hog's website. I've put 120 dives on it over the past year and I don't see any indications of my (light monkey) webbing being cut.

One example is in the camera world, Nikon, Canon, and Sony all have their fan boys.
Leica and Hasselblad do also....but, owners of those cameras KNOW their stuff is awesome! It's all way out of reach for me. ;-)

Is $700 for a Hasselblad 500C/M a good deal??

Is $700 for a Hasselblad 500C/M a good deal??

That's outside my frame of reference. I couldn't really say; I suppose condition is everything with vintage/collectable cameras.

Cheers,
Mitch

Maybe someone will step in and offer to sell me a Holga.

I think your camera sarcasm is over 99% of our heads :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom