Halycon BC, wings and harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK,
Thanks for the help...I appreciate it much..OK, back to the drawing board..

1. Readjust my harness

2. Get certified

3. PS I have that GUE DIR book you spoke of above already.

4. Ask for help from you folks vs my LDS who do not sell BP's and wings (well, they do - OMS)

5. Play with the rig and adjust, fit, etc.

Thanks, I have a lot to learn yet, and yes, I don't want to be just a 1x a year diver.

Thanks,

Mike

So, even though I'm hesitant to ask. Are you going to keep the BP and try it again or stick to the Mares.

Either way is fine. And the Transpac 2 is a nice rig. A lot of people swear by them. I just don't like the extra's on it. My BP is so clean in the water it makes the Transpac feal like I'm wearing a winter coat. Same with the regular style BC's. And even though people mount duals on them. I much prefer a backplate for this too.

If you got your wing from EE you could return it for another size. Usually they'll do this for no charge. I don't think you need that big of a wing. If they would exchange it get a 36lb lift. I use the 27lb but you need to keep your bouyancy right if you use it. The 36 gives you a little more play. With 45lbs of lift you could have dual Al 80's on your back. But that wing was designed for a single. So that ain't happening.

Spend some time with the BP and get used to it before passing judgement. Oh, if you have questions just ask. There are alot of people on this board that have a lot of experience. Bragging about how great your gear is when your not certified and haven't even used it tends to elicit smart allick responses. Sorry just got tired of hearing it.

I'm not alway's DIR either. KISS BISS... Keep It Simple Stupid Because I Say So...... Is what I tell myself every day.......

Oh, and you don't need a chest strap. No matter what your instructor tells you. But listen to him on how to dive and how to be safe. It might save your life or your buddies. Which just might be me someday. And yea, I've seen people freak under water and make a extremely bad decision and die because of it. From 100ft a girl shot to the surface and held her breath. She had been diving for 2 years. Mostly vacation stuff. Remember your training. Stay calm. Keep contact with your buddy..... And keep breathing.....

Oh yea, One last thing. Engineers Graduate from college every year. They all think that reading a book means there an engineer. Not even close. You have to be able to apply it to your surroundings. I deal with them every day. One actually said to me "I'm not very mechanicly inclined". He graduated in the top of his class from Purdue. What the heck would he want to be an engineer for then......... You've read the books now go apply it and learn. You'll do fine...... You've got more of a knowledge than most students so you're ahead of the game. This should help you understand what's wrong with your set up. If not just ask.

Thanks for the help...and yes, I'll give it a shot and try the things you suggested..

Originally posted by Scuba446
Thanks for the help...and yes, I'll give it a shot and try the things you suggested..

The real trick is the harness adjustment. It needs to be pretty tight. Out of the water it won't be terribly comfortable but will be better in water. Also, after time and with use, the webbing will wear in a bit and not be quite so stiff (check the feel of an older rental weight belt at your LDS vs a brand new one). You won't often be wearing multiple dive suits on the same day so readjustment will rarely be needed once you get it right.

Make sure your crotch strap is pretty tight too, this helps hold the whole system in place. There's no need for a cross-chest strap, its just extra hassle.

If all else fails and you just like the BC better, dive that. It'll serve you just fine as long as you're using a single tank. If you like part of the DIR system, like the long hose, use it. Adapt it your system. You don't have to be completely DIR unless you're taking GUE training. I personally have adopted the DIR gear configuration but I don't like some of the other mandates so I'm still a st**ke. Likely always will be too.

Tom

I finally got to dive my BP&wings (Fred T heavy plate & STA w/Dive-Rite rec wing) for the first time yesterday!
The system works beautifuly! :thumb:

Give it a honest try before you give up on it. :)

My other rig is a Transpac II, I went to the BP so I could take weight off my belt.

is getting time in the water. Come on, guys, remember your first few dives? I don't care what gear you have on, it's crazy. Everything is sideways, upside down, too tight, too loose, backwards, uncomfortable, and scary.

Scuba446: you aren't going to like anything about any rig until you have a couple dozen dives and are comfortable in the water. Settle down.

Thanks,
Its been real 'educational' - thats for sure! The user manuals sure don't have lists of 'Do's and Don'ts' in them for problem resolution - and there sure aren't any guys that I ahve met, yet, in class or teaching, that wear BP's, or, better yet, ADMIT to it if they do!

Its been a lot of trial and error....the hard way..

Its been a lot of trial and error....the hard way..
Quit your whining... get off your butt and drive to that DIR LDS you where yapping about in one of your other posts...

Sheesh... you said it was only an hours drive... there are a lot of folks that have traveled a lot further than that for instruction...

Know what? You guys can sure be *******s.....I'm unsubscribing from this web site and done with all this BS already..

God forbid a guy dares dive differantly than you guys choose to...no wonder all the guys I know resisted DIR in saying "Those guys have attitudes and are *******s."

Enough already..

Know what? You guys can sure be *******s.....I'm unsubscribing from this web site and done with all this BS already..

God forbid a guy dares dive differantly than you guys choose to...no wonder all the guys I know resisted DIR in saying "Those guys have attitudes and are *******s."

Enough already..
:rolleyes:

Bye, troll.

Back
Top Bottom