Halycon BC, wings and harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I do think you'll eventually end up buying another BP/wings setup. How much are you using? With the ACB system the Halcyon claims it can hold up to 30 lbs (that seems a push though) and it's easily ditchable. It rides quite nicely on me although I use little weight, no clue how it would be with a bunch but I would think it would still be much easier as the harness would keep the weight primarily off your hips.

Tom

Edited

Totally understandable. While I do feel that there are several advantages to the DIR system I also recognize that most folks get along perfectly well with other setups, as I did too for many years.

As far as standard BCs go, I recommend Scubapro products above all.

Tom

Edited

Originally posted by Scuba446
And, yes, I have many friends who have dove for years with nothing more than BC's. And I certainly can't call people with more experience than I have in the water 'strokes' just because they refuse to dive DIR or a BP or not.
Uhhhh....who in these threads - besides you - has been using the S-word?

Originally posted by Scuba446
Halycon speaks of this system having less drag that others, and that makes sense, but it would appear that once we add the Halycon Weight System to the harness waist belt, that now we have added about just as much bulk as my BC has in the waist area, and additional drag as well.
My ACB pockets are within the slipstream of my arms and shoulders, so there's no appreciable increase in drag. The pockets, when properly affixed, are on the sides of the hips and add no bulk to the torso area.

I don't see the issue of bp/bc as having anything to do with DIR/not. I dive a bp/wing exclusively except...when teaching in the pool. I still have and use the first bc I ever owned (a jacket). It seems I notice the difference more and more all the time. There seems to be less drag with my dry suit bp and double 104s than in a wet suit single al 80 and a jacket bc. When I compare the bp and single to a jacket and single the diff is dramatic. My advice would be to quite listening to people and second guessing the choice you already made and just go diving. The fact is you probably won't be able to tell good equipment from bad until you get some dives under your belt. I love it when someone who hasn't learned to fin talks about how great some new fin is. How would they know. If one is not correctly trimmed, weighted and in control of their buoyancy they will not notice the diff between a bood ba and a poor one. Well...you get the idea...good luck.

Hey, I dive backplates exclusively these days, but a DIR diver I am not. I occasionally dive solo, my configuration is not DIR, use computers, and I've never had a DIR buddy.

I started off with the short hose, an AIRII, and standard console mounts for SPG/computer/compass, all in conjunction with a BP/wing designed for doubles. Doesn't sound too DIR, does it?

Over the years, however, my gear has grown more toward the DIR standard. For various reasons I became dissatisfied with my gear, and when I learned more about DIR and GUE, I found that their reasoning made more sense than what I'd been using. I ditched the AIRII, added an alternate 2nd stage on a bungee necklace, and bought a wing intended for singles. I'm also dissatisfied with my console and intend to migrate my computers and compass to my wrists.

I'm doing this not because it's DIR, but because it makes SENSE to do so.

As for the more obnoxious proponents of either side, I couldn't care less. It's the message I care about, not the messenger.

P.S. There's no way I'd go back to using a jacket-style BC, significant financial inducement aside. :wink:

Yea,
Thats sounds reasonable!

DIS - Doing It SAFE!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom