Halycon BC, wings and harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man this is a rough crowd. With all the adamant and conflicting opinions, it’s no wonder new divers are confused about equipment configuration. Just look at http://www.scubaboard.com/t9447/s.html for example. And the confusion is compounded by the inclination of LDSs to promote the equipment they sell.

So a new diver trying to sort out these issues comes to this board for help and ends up being used as target for cheap humor. To my mind betting that someone won’t make it through a course is mean spirited and ugly. It looks like an attempt to make oneself feel better by putting someone else down.

Scuba446, best of luck.

Mike

Originally posted by MikeS
So a new diver trying to sort out these issues comes to this board for help and ends up being used as target for cheap humor. To my mind betting that someone won’t make it through a course is mean spirited and ugly. It looks like an attempt to make oneself feel better by putting someone else down.
You might not have that opinion if you could read those posts he deleted to cover his tracks.

If this guy dives like he posts, he should change his screen name to "Sawtooth" and book some chamber rides. :rolleyes:

I still think he's a troll....

Originally posted by MikeS
Man this is a rough crowd.
Hi Mike,
You must of missed his wildly divergent posts before he deleted them...
No mean spirit here though some would agree with ugly :wink:
Some of us wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to help and encourage this knucklehead...
But it became painfully obvious:
He is a troll...

Mike,

He started this whole thing by making fun of some people he saw in his LDS.....saying what a bunch of idiots they were for buying jacket BCs....

The next day it was, "Jacket BCs forever, BPs NEVER!". He even put his BP on E-Bay.

The next day it was, "OK, I'm back to the BP"

The next day it was, "OK, I tried the BC in the pool and it sucks"

The next day it was, "OK I tried it in the pool again and the BP is great."

One of the most bizarre jeckyl/hyde threads I've ever seen....and certainly more confusing/damaging to a newbie than anything any of the respondents said.

I think he needs some Lithium ;-)

-LD

Scuba446 started the bet...
Scuba446 mentioned DIRF...
I for one hope that Scuba446 makes it to & through DIRF...
But from what I have seen here...
And from what I know about DIRF...
Blargh is right...
I didn't make a real bet...

UP,

Since I’ve been contemplating getting a back plate and wings I followed most of the thread before the editing. I don’t think your time was wasted; many people including myself were reading this thread.

I have no desire to defend Scuba446’s statements, but I do think he should have the opportunity to express his opinion and even change his mind, without ridicule. Hopefully, the fact that he changed his mind means he’s learning from advice and experience, and isn’t that the point?

Mike

MikeS,

Good for you, but ...

those that will be following (or trying to) follow this thread in - say - a month's time wont have the added benefit of being familiar with ALL of "his" posts

.... and will most probably get horribly confused.

.... and the good folks of Scubaboard will have to do another mole-slamming exercise

.... and ....

Went to the DIR LDS and spent some time with the owner. he was extremely helpful and informative.

This was what he had to say "Youhave been training with a regular BC and have really had no help/support with the Halcyon stuff. In fact the people that you've been dealing with are probably trying to get you to mess up. I think you need some guidance.

The bp harness if definitely too loose. You also don't need to get the corrugated hose completely over your head as you do w/ a bc. My bet is that your trim was way off. Nothing really valuable comes without having to work for it. So be patient. Get help. We'll get you squared away."

He was extremely helpful and now the rig fits like a glove. I returned the BC and kept my rig. Its fits great. Off to dive it this weekend and work more on trim and buoyancy skills, and just get comfortable with the feel of it and using it.

Hose config is 5ft long hose and 22" backup hose - that feels great and works great in the OOA drills we have been trying. It uncoils very quickly and easily. Wouldn't trade it for the normal primary and octo hose for anything. This works so well. Wehnw e tried it in the pool, my partner in the course said "Gee, at first i thought that looked prerry dumb - but after we did the OOA diver/buddy, I liked how that works."

Keep at it. I take it you've finished your certification dives then? It's a good idea to spend your next few dives as you said - work on trim and buoyancy skills, and get comfortable with the rig.

Now that you've decided to keep it, it might be a good idea now to get yourself some "BC Life" cleaner for the wing, especially if you're using it in a pool or salt water. Use it to clean your wing inside and out, and keep it in top condition. Rinse your BC out at the end of a dive, squirt some down the inflator hose while the dump button is depressed, fill the BC partly with water, and give it a good slosh around. Empty it and rinse 3 or 4 times to stop funky stuff growing in the bladder, and use it like shampoo on the outside to clean and protect the shell from chlorine and salt crystals.

Proud. I recently purchased a Halcyon rig and in only 2 dives, I see the difference. Sure, I won't sell my Ranger, but I will definately log more dives wearing the B/P. Although I'm not DIR totally, I use the 5 ft. and 22 inch hoses, sport a Zeagle flathead VI and ZX second and octo, even with my Ranger, there's lots of good techniques to adapt from the pros. (and I say that in admiration).

tony

ps. UP, you ma' hero!

Back
Top Bottom