Half blind divers, how do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you are afraid of Lasic for a reason, however a good 50 years passed already since its invention, so inevitably there are new laser surgery methods.
e.g. I had a laser surgery with relatively new (~10 years old) technology called Relex, and it was a best money investment I've ever made in my life.
I think that now there are even more fresh and advanced methods of laser surgery, ask an ophthalmologist for advice.

so what my message is about - a modern, safe and effective laser surgery cost similar to a scuba gear set but intended for every day usage, rather than on vacations only :wink:

It is typical for these threads that people jump in to promote refractive surgery.
But there is a selection bias. When it comes to health related issues, those with not so good results try to forget their mistakes and will not jump in here to tell everybody about their bad decisions.
Several people I know personally have had suboptimal results with Lasik and Relex/Smile surgeries.
Dry eyes, irritation, pain, light sensitivity, problems with contrast vision, halo effects in dark, suboptimal correction (-1.5 correction 6 mo after surgery) leading to reoperations. This list among people who I personally know. I don't doubt these operations have a track record of many satisfied customers. But many thinking about thsee operations do not realize that there lot's of possible problems, prehaps minor but irritating, that cannot be corrected with a reoperation or by wearing spectacles.

there are also several companies that are making stick on lenses in different magnifications that you can buy and apply to your regular mask. I hv a set of 3+ Im going to put on my mask so I can read my gauges and dive computer.

Either with my prescription mask( which was the first dive gear i ever bought)

Or

When I was a PSD, I used an old set of glasses mounted in my OTS guardian. Very comfortable way of doing it

I did dive successfully for years in contact lenses. That said, they were disposable and so at the end of the dive day, I would throw them out, clean my eyes and put in a new pair. I never lost a lens though sometimes one would creep up behind my eyelid and I would have to Blink a few times and sometimes use finger to help move it back into position.
Eventually I got LASIK and it was reasonably successful, the why did end up with a little haloing, light sensitivity, and an extra astigmatism. But it made my life wonderful especially my diving life. Unfortunately, I needed reading glasses due to having the LASIK. I never successfully found a mask with reading cheaters in them that worked for me. That wasn't really a big deal because I had a big honking magnifying glass attached to me by a coiled bungee. That worked a treat!
Fast forward, few years go by and I noticed that I'm not seeing distance as well as I used to do but I no longer need reading glasses. Fortunately, I've also come to love macro when I'm diving. I kid you not I can see the smallest things teeny tiny little things, Critters and the finest print on any medicine bottle.
But soon I will be getting a cataract surgery and after that I will be able to see distance again. I sure hope it doesn't mess with my short vision. It's just been wonderful being able to see the tiniest of Critters without needing a magnifying glass.
OK long story short, wear your contact lenses as long as they are disposables. Or get LASIK or get a mask with prescription lenses in them. LOL sounds like you can't go wrong to me

I used to have -2.5 in both eyes and had PRK laser surgery done in 2003...it was hands down the best quality of life improvement choice I have ever made and would do it again in a heart beat. At the time I was an avid skier and whitewater kayaker....it was treacherous approaching class 4 rapids and having to wipe the fog off my glasses to see the way ahead, and when skiing it was always a pain in the arse whenever we stopped for lunch or a drink as my glasses would fog up as soon as I would walk inside. When I dove, I used contact lenses....years before when going through my OW cert course I used contacts but would keep my eyes shut during mask clearing drills or any time I was required to remove my mask underwater. If I didn't, I didn't experience pain, instead the lenses would wash out of my eyes.

The PRK surgery did not cost me anything as I was active duty Navy when I had the procedure done but it was such an improvement on quality of life that if I was transported back in time and was in the position to do it over, I would readily and gladly pay out of pocket to have it done.

-Z

Edit: Just a note on recover time....If I recall correctly, I was back paddling within 2 weeks after the laser surgery. Recovery time for LASIK is a little longer as the corneal flap required is a bit more invasive and needs to properly heal, but with PRK that was not an issue.

I had more or less the best possible outcome with lasik. I had the all-laser surgery (laser makes the flap instead of a blade. Apparently it's a bigger treatment area and the flap is less likely to get dislodged), and went from couldn't read road signs to better than 20-20. The worst part about the whole thing was the headache I got from the strap on the post surgery dark goggles. No dry eye issue, and no halos or other night problems. My only problem with it is that I didn't get it sooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom