Half blind divers, how do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Seavision.

I started out with just readers, but got a new progressive prescription, and went ahead and had it ground into my lenses.

Appreciate all the responses a lot.
As I am Sweden I won't opt for anything outside of EU because it just adds a lot of extra on shipping and customs etc.
My LDS can offer me Cressi masks with corrective lenses which is most likely the path I will go down, it'll end up at about 100 euro which seems fair to me.
I really don't wan't to dive with contacts even though I know lots of people do that and have been doing that for years, and I would never ever go for lasik (scared of it going south I suppose).
Hearing from people who have been diving masks with corrective lenses with good results makes me feel very good about this, as it will be one less bother on my mind while diving.
Once again, thanks a lot!

I use contacts. (Also scared of Lasik.)

Bought my son an “off the shelf” corrective mask from houseofscuba.com. He told me on his first dive with the new mask that it was the best thing that I had ever bought him.

I use contact lenses. However ...

For a mild correction of -2.5 to -2.75 as you have, a prescription dive mask would probably work well. My correction is -8.00, and when I tried a prescription dive mask from a company recommended here on SB what I received had lenses the thickness of Coke bottles. I tried using the mask once and gave up because the image was distorted everywhere but the middle of the lens--no peripheral vision at all.

Lasik or an implanted lens or something along those lines is surely in my future. I have been holding off for the past 20 years watching as the procedures improve and waiting to see if they are sure there are no long-term adverse effects. I'm beginning to feel more confident in the procedures.

Lasik or an implanted lens or something along those lines is surely in my future. I have been holding off for the past 20 years watching as the procedures improve and waiting to see if they are sure there are no long-term adverse effects. I'm beginning to feel more confident in the procedures.

I had Lasik during the early years; lasted for, I guess, fifteen years, and then I started needing readers for work and computer stuff. Those were good for about another five to seven, and then I just decided it wasn't worth the straining, and went back to full glasses.

Funny thing about my first Seavision mask. My wife bought me the reader-only lenses for a birthday, and I loved them (distance vision was still working underwater at that time). Found that as my vision continued to deteriorate, I could see better through the reader part for all ranges; that's when I decided to go full prescription.

I quit keeping up with the surgical improvements once I went back to the doctor that did my initial procedure, and he couldn't guarantee that my vision actually might be worse after a second procedure (this was at least a decade ago, things may have changed, but at 68, it don't matter anymore).

I had Lasik during the early years; lasted for, I guess, fifteen years, and then I started needing readers for work and computer stuff. Those were good for about another five to seven, and then I just decided it wasn't worth the straining, and went back to full glasses.

Funny thing about my first Seavision mask. My wife bought me the reader-only lenses for a birthday, and I loved them (distance vision was still working underwater at that time). Found that as my vision continued to deteriorate, I could see better through the reader part for all ranges; that's when I decided to go full prescription.

I quit keeping up with the surgical improvements once I went back to the doctor that did my initial procedure, and he couldn't guarantee that my vision actually might be worse after a second procedure (this was at least a decade ago, things may have changed, but at 68, it don't matter anymore).

Around age 40, the lenses in the eyes become less malleable and focusing between near and far becomes more difficult. The Lasik corrected your vision, but it was inevitable that you'd need readers at some point.

Degenrate-
If you have to ask about vision here online, and your instructors weren't able to give you advice on this (for your area and local sources) and they weren't even aware that you had a vision issue...I'd really question those instructors, that's a half-assed job to skip such a simple thing.

Unless you are still using hard contact lenses for some special reason, there's really no way that water can get between your (soft) contacts and your eyes. The contacts ride on a film of moisture if they have been properly fitted, and if water gets in your mask, either nothing happens, ot the lens floats off. If you're getting pain--there's a bigger problem, you may need a better fitting and a better ophthamologist.

Yes, I have had a lens fall out of my eye and sit there, taunting me, in the bottom of the mask. My buddy was baffled when I signed to surface, from about 60' and maybe two hundred yards out in the middle of nowhere. But the water was calm, and putting the lens back in my eye was actually quite easy. (Just don't drop it in the ocean in the process, right?)

And yes, seawater marinating in your lenses is not a good thing, but for 1/2 hour or so it won't make any difference. After a dive, either flush your eyes, or change and clean the contacts reasonably soon.

There's really nothing big or exceptional about this and a 2.5 diopter is nowhere near "half blind". But your "pain" issue says there's another problem that must be dealt with.

As I am Sweden I won't opt for anything outside of EU because it just adds a lot of extra on shipping and customs etc.
My LDS can offer me Cressi masks with corrective lenses which is most likely the path I will go down, it'll end up at about 100 euro which seems fair to me.
I really don't wan't to dive with contacts even though I know lots of people do that and have been doing that for years, and I would never ever go for lasik (scared of it going south I suppose).

It depends on how much astigmatism (cylinder) you have in your prescription. Are your contact lenses toric or not? If you don't have much astigmatism, you will be absolutely fine with off the shelf corrective lenses to your mask. If you are not happy with your LDS offerings, Scubastore.com carries corrective lenses to many masks. Their delivery to Nordic countries is fast and inexpensive.

For someone like me with closer to -6 and a lot of astigmatism off the shelf lenses are not sufficient.
Seavision masks are optically perfect. They are also competitively priced (despite shipping, duty and taxes when I ordered from EU). I had Seavision install their lenses into a Tusa freedom ceos mask and it turned out perfect.

A skilled optmetrist (usually one of the few private shops remaining) can order glass lenses and glue them onto your mask. This way it is possible to make even very complex prescriptions.

I mostly dive with contact lenses.

After 15 years I finally broke my prescription mask. Forgot they were on my head because I was wearing a thick hood, pulled off the hood, mask hit the steel deck just right and they shattered. That sucked as I don't have a backup mask. Luckily Great White Sharks are easy to see.
I had a new prescription done as i needed to so, then I went to my local dive shop bought the almost same model of mask ( I have a hard to fit face) and then they sent them off to have the lenses done. All in cost me $300 for bifocals, but it's well worth it. Some day I'll have a backup done too. If I was on any other trip it would have
bummed me out big time.
I too wear a hood,but unlike you,my mask goes on my head underneath the hood. This way you will never lose a mask...just an idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom