Half blind divers, how do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Degenerate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello again,
My eyes are not 100%, I have about -2.5 to -2.75 on my eyes so I can't see that well without contact lenses or glasses.
Obviously, glasses aren't an option while diving.
I did my OW dives with contact lenses and removing/clearing my mask was not a fun experience.
I did my AOW without contact lenses and I had zero pain or whatsoever in my eyes from getting water in them (then again I didn't see much during the dives).
Whenever I dive with contacts I feel anxious that I'm gonna end up in a situation where I'll get water between my contacts and my eyes, hurts a lot.
And when I dive without them I can't really see or enjoy anything beyond the reach of my arms.
I want to be able to at least open my eyes underwater without a mask in case of an emergency, and at the moment I can but once I do my eyes are pretty much shot if I'm wearing contacts (and if I'm not I'm pretty much diving half blind anyways which I feel is worse).
I know Cressi offers a variety of replacement lenses for some of their masks, I'm sure there are others.
I'm also sure I'm far from the only diver who has poor sight, so how do you deal with it?

Hello again,
My eyes are not 100%, I have about -2.5 to -2.75 on my eyes so I can't see that well without contact lenses or glasses.
I did my OW dives with contact lenses and removing/clearing my mask was not a fun experience.
I did my AOW without contact lenses and I had zero pain or whatsoever in my eyes from getting water in them (then again I didn't see much during the dives).
Whenever I dive with contacts I feel anxious that I'm gonna end up in a situation where I'll get water between my contacts and my eyes, hurts a lot.
And when I dive without them I can't really see or enjoy anything beyond the reach of my arms.
I want to be able to at least open my eyes underwater without a mask in case of an emergency, and at the moment I can but once I do my eyes are pretty much shot if I'm wearing contacts (and if I'm not I'm pretty much diving half blind anyways which I feel is worse).
I know Cressi offers a variety of replacement lenses for some of their masks, I'm sure there are others.
I'm also sure I'm far from the only diver who has poor sight, so how do you deal with it?

There are several places where you can get prescription lenses for scuba masks.
scuba masks with prescription lenses - Google Search

I have two pairs of Cressi Focus masks, one as a backup. Both are fitted with prescription lenses, easily found on Amazon. Cost is going to be about $80 USD total.

Purchasing goes like this: Buy a Cressi Focus mask, then buy each replacement lens separately - three items in the cart. In your case, probably two -2.5's, as replacement lenses only come in half increments. -3 would be too strong and you may get eye strain.

Cressi has another mask, Big Eyes, which also has prescription lenses, but they're not as plentiful as the Focus.

The reason I chose the Focus is that the design is fairly common and should both pairs break for some reason, I might be able to borrow a mask and swap in my lenses.

Alternatively, you can buy masks with prescription lenses pre-installed for $50 USD total. The mask is generic branding and you pick your left and right lenses at selection. The mask design isn't commonly found in dive shops, so if the mask breaks, it's unlikely to can find another one quickly. You'd have to order online again. At $50 USD each, you can get a backup for just a little more than one Focus masks with prescription lenses. The only unknown is whether the mask fits you well.

And alternatively to that, you can pick any mask and send it to a company that will make lenses for any mask. This is probably the most expensive option, but you get the mask you like best, in case the Focus, Big Eyes, etc. isn't the mask for you. There are threads on scubaboard that lists the companies recommended.

Lasik. Interesting though--before that, I could see almost perfectly while snorkeling without glasses (or contacts), due I guess to the refraction between the water and air in mask. After the "surgery" I don't see as well uw...My eyes came out not quite 20-20, but hardly noticeable (don't "require corrected lenses" to drive).
I do know that many divers successfully dive with contacts. They usually carry spares, but probably do no matter where they are.

Hello again,
Since 1985 when I certified I have never dove without contacts, unless one falls into my mask during the dive.

Contacts work for me.

In a true mask off situation if I needed to see I'd just wipe my contacts out by rolling my eyes to save them for later or wash them out... Otherwise I don't flood my mask with my eyes open anyway (risk of infections).

In normal diving it is exceedingly rare to lose a mask.

I have a prescription mask that I don't use (picked up for 12$) but I prefer contacts.

Scared of Lasik.
Cameron

Last forever... It is a bit expensive but I think seeing clearly is pretty important!

After 15 years I finally broke my prescription mask. Forgot they were on my head because I was wearing a thick hood, pulled off the hood, mask hit the steel deck just right and they shattered. That sucked as I don't have a backup mask. Luckily Great White Sharks are easy to see.
I had a new prescription done as i needed to so, then I went to my local dive shop bought the almost same model of mask ( I have a hard to fit face) and then they sent them off to have the lenses done. All in cost me $300 for bifocals, but it's well worth it. Some day I'll have a backup done too. If I was on any other trip it would have
bummed me out big time.

I have two pairs of Cressi Focus masks, one as a backup. Both are fitted with prescription lenses, easily found on Amazon. Cost is going to be about $80 USD total.

Purchasing goes like this: Buy a Cressi Focus mask, then buy each replacement lens separately - three items in the cart. In your case, probably two -2.5's, as replacement lenses only come in half increments. -3 would be too strong and you may get eye strain.

Cressi has another mask, Big Eyes, which also has prescription lenses, but they're not as plentiful as the Focus.

The reason I chose the Focus is that the design is fairly common and should both pairs break for some reason, I might be able to borrow a mask and swap in my lenses.

Alternatively, you can buy masks with prescription lenses pre-installed for $50 USD total. The mask is generic branding and you pick your left and right lenses at selection. The mask design isn't commonly found in dive shops, so if the mask breaks, it's unlikely to can find another one quickly. You'd have to order online again. At $50 USD each, you can get a backup for just a little more than one Focus masks with prescription lenses. The only unknown is whether the mask fits you well.

And alternatively to that, you can pick any mask and send it to a company that will make lenses for any mask. This is probably the most expensive option, but you get the mask you like best, in case the Focus, Big Eyes, etc. isn't the mask for you. There are threads on scubaboard that lists the companies recommended.

I tried the Cressi masks and unfortunately they didn't fit my hard to fit face. They are an affordable way to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom