Halcyon vs ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kray_Z:
The SPG. Any real difference? The halcyon is a bit more expensive but i have been told that many people like the halcyon.... what are your thoughts/advantages of spending more on something... worth it?

I guess it depends on where you buy them and what kind of deal you can get. I have both the ScubaPro and H spg, bought from the same SP and H dealer, and the SP was actually $5 more than the Halcyon. I prefer the Halcyon over the SP. But, I REALLY like the ones from www.techdivinglimited.com (do a search for parts TDL-TECH-SPG-S and TDL-TECH-SPG-L ). They are identical to the H spg, and quite a bit cheaper.

Doc Intrepid:
While I have vast respect for Bob's experience, I'm going to disagree with him here, on account of he's such a young spry guy and I'm a pre-geezer.
LOL - thanx Doc ... but I think I'm a bit older than you are ... the prescription lenses really help, though ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Weehoo! I just turned 42 this week. I don't know where 42 fits in the geezer-to-whippersnapper scale, but hey - I feel young, so who cares...

As far as the gauge goes - just feel good that you are one of the few who appreciate the simplicity of the small and unadorned SPG.

I have a Halcyon and love it. When it comes to $$$ and life support, I don't split hairs.

J

Halcyon, TDL, Salvo, or even the XS Scuba ones DiveSportsOnline blows out periodically. They're all the same. Just different silk screening on the gauge's faceplate. Same, or better, warranties, even. So why spend the extra money for Halcyon unless you really like matchy gear and love the H?

Regarding the gauges from Tech Diving Limited (TDL), I have to toss in 2 cents about the customer service I've experienced - not good. I have a gauge and other items that have been on order since Jan 8, and still no delivery. They replied to one email back at the end of January but have not replied to any email inquiries since that time. I hope the gear is worth it, because I'm quite disappointed in their service as a retailer.

jeffrey-c:
Regarding the gauges from Tech Diving Limited (TDL), I have to toss in 2 cents about the customer service I've experienced - not good. I have a gauge and other items that have been on order since Jan 8, and still no delivery. They replied to one email back at the end of January but have not replied to any email inquiries since that time. I hope the gear is worth it, because I'm quite disappointed in their service as a retailer.

eh that sucks... never ordered from them... hope you get it soon.. if so let us all know if they made up for it or anything.

jeffrey-c:
If you were to read up on them via search here, I think you would find the good VASTLY outweighs the occasional bad experience. I guess no one can be perfect, but I will say bad experiences with TDL are very much an anomaly. I have ordered from them many times and referred tons of people to them and your is one of TWO bad experiences I can recall reading about. I would pick up the phone and call them... one nice thing about them is that they are a real LDS in Arizona, so if you call during regular business hours you will definitely get to speak to a real person (probably Randy or Joel).

jeffrey-c:

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have to say that my experience has been the exact opposite, and I have had stellar service from them. Not to excuse it, but any company can have something fall through the cracks. Might want to give them a call, sometimes companies have trouble with their email and do not even know it.

I held an OMS guage and a Halcyon in my hands at the same time. I bought the Halcyon. The store I bought it from was blowing out a lot of their Halcyon stuff, so I got a good deal on it. That is not the reason I choose it though. When looking at the guage faces, I found the red at the bottom of the guage, did a decent job of hiding the needle. I felt that I did not need a red zone in order to know what my air pressure was, but being able to see the needle was important. The SPG on my hip is only used as a backup to my, non DIR, wrist mounted, air integrated, dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom