Halcyon SS backplate, help me choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm buying a gently used Halcyon BP and Wings. The previous owner is giving me the choice between the old style and the new style of Halcyon SS BP. They weigh the same, it just seems that the slots are a bit different on the two. Are there advantanges/disadvantages of having either one? What would you choose if you had the choice?

Mel

The new one has slots in the channel, the old one does not. The slots are there so that when using a wing with built-in STA rods, like the Pioneer, the cambands can be run through the plate. With a normal STA, the bands are run through the STA itself.

There's no reason not to get the newer one. If you're getting a Pioneer wing, or you find yourself with one, you'll want the slots.

Isn't it also possible that the newer plate might have webbing slots that are smoothed out a bit more. I've seen on a number of posts that some older plates can eat webbing unless they are dremeled...

If I am not mistaken, the older plates have a matte finish (very nice) while the newer ones are a mirror finish. The latter will show scratches more, but who cares.

I think the point that Jonnythan brought up is the most salient...The newer plate gives you the option of using the pioneer wing without the STA. I'd go for the new...

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom