Halcyon Replacement Helios 9 Batt Packs from Hawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
http://www.tnrtechnical.com/

I had two floods in about 8 days. So I'm battless in SoCal. One batt I was able to sort of salvage, and get about 90 minutes out of it. But its hardly a sure thing (although it has got me through a couple of dives...)

My first choice for a replacement battery didn't pan out, so I called Hawk at TNR. I learned about this guy from The Deco Stop when I was searching for replacement battery options.

When I called him, he knew exactly what I was asking for when I asked about a Helios 9 replacement batt (20 cell, thermister, etc.) and he offered to make the batts up while I waited I was going to be out of town, so I told him I'd pick them up at the end of the week.

He said I should get the heavier wire (14 ga?) put on. He told me he'd put on "silicone wire" (I'm not an electronics guy - so I'm probably mangling this...)

I also followed a TDS link to McMaster-Carr and ordered the connectors. They arrived THE NEXT DAY - and I ordered them in the afternoon. Again, a shocker. I simply crimped on the MC connectors, assembled the things and I was done.

I have gone through a charge cycle on each, and got about 4 hours 15 minutes on one batt, and about 4 hours 6 minutes on the other. Total cost for the batts was $145 ea (+ CA tax) and for the McMaster connections, it was about $7.00 or $8.00, I think. If course I recieved 5 of each color connector... so I have spares now.

A note on the MC connectors - they are slotted, so they fit together in the familiar "L" pattern Halcyon uses. I put a little epoxy in the slot to solidify the connection.

I have attached some pics.

So far, I'm completely pleased with the service and quality of the product Hawk is selling.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom