Halcyon Pro 6 or Helios 4.5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are two versions of the Helios 4.5. One is focusable the other is not. It is another $150 or so for the focusable version.

Well i am under the impression it is focusable underwater. The halcyon instructions dont warn against it although i dont think i ever focused it under water leaving just it on the tightest beam setting. You may want to email halcyon to be absolutely sure.
I usually leave it in a tight beam also but when I'm assisting my buddy on a placement or wrap, I sometimes spread the beam out to better fascilitate the job. For signals, hands down, tight spot is where it is at.

Jason

Dryglove:
Well i am under the impression it is focusable underwater. The halcyon instructions dont warn against it although i dont think i ever focused it under water leaving just it on the tightest beam setting. You may want to email halcyon to be absolutely sure.

Yes and no. The 10 watt lighthead is extremely small and compact compared to the 18w light head. The 4.5 cannister is also nice and compact and light weight on dry ground. The 10w produces a nice pencil like beam where the 18w produces a larger more powerful spot. If i had to do it all over again i would stay with my 18 as it really cuts through the crud in murky waters and produces a nice big spot during daylight diving for looking in crevices, looking under rocks and such. Either way i seriously doubt you will be disappointed with the 4.5 if you go that route.

The helios 18W seems to be focusable underwater (and if you look at the design, *seems* to have been intended to be) not sure on the 10W
I am really happy with the 18, especially compared to the 10 non-focusable that I also have. The difference is less clear compared to the focusable 10W (and 10 may actually be better at night as you don't light up the entire place and scare things off!)

BlueDolphin:
If you had a choice between the Halcyon Pro 6 10W, or the Helios 4.5 10W, which would you prefer and why?

Thanks

If you have not made your decision yet, look at Green Force. I have their FII 10 watt HID set up 4AH. It is a great system and it is modular and upgradeable.

Back
Top Bottom