Halcyon or Diverite manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fasorud

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I know the DIR community seems to prefer Halcyon manifolds, and I am in the process of purchasing one, but I am a little bit torn between actually getting a Halcyon or a Diverite. The price difference is minimal with the Diverite being slightly cheaper.

For the Diverite manifold I was able to easily find parts and the service manual online (manual is free), but I couldn't for the Halcyon.

Can a DIR guru enlighten me a bit as to why the Halcyon is the preferred manifold, and if the Diverite is just as good of choice?

Thanks in advance!
rudy

Because DIR is Halcyon and Halcyon is DIR. The DIR movement only favours Halcyon products, even though lot of other gear is as good or better, but for them that is not kosher.

Come on flame on, but you know I am right!

Ck out the Sea Elite, its cheaper than the DR! Tamas, this is a no troll area!

Tamas:
Because DIR is Halcyon and Halcyon is DIR. The DIR movement only favours Halcyon products, even though lot of other gear is as good or better, but for them that is not kosher.

Come on flame on, but you know I am right!
Tamas, you couldn't be further from the truth and I believe you know that.

I own two Halcyon products... a backplate and two wings. I own an AUL backplate that I wear most of the time, owned an Oxycheq wing (sold it because it was worth more than the Halcyon), a Terkel light, Dive Rite and Sea Elite manifolds, OMS doubles bands, etc etc.

Fasroud, I like my manifolds just fine. Sea Elites in particular are popular in the DIR community as being just as good and in some cases better than the Halcyon manifolds. It seems that if you're lucky you can get a Sea Elite manifold whose knobs only turn 1.5 times to close, whereas with a Halcyon you must turn them 2.5 times or more.

If I were in the market, I'd be buying a Sea Elite from eBay for under $150.

WaterDawg:
Ck out the Sea Elite, its cheaper than the DR! Tamas, this is a no troll area!

jonnythan:
Tamas, you couldn't be further from the truth and I believe you know that.

Not trolling.....just speaking (writing) from experience from this forum and the responses on this board. Albeit I might be wrong, but it surely seems that way.

jonnythan:
It seems that if you're lucky you can get a Sea Elite manifold whose knobs only turn 1.5 times to close, whereas with a Halcyon you must turn them 2.5 times or more.

If I were in the market, I'd be buying a Sea Elite from eBay for under $150.
My Sea Elite is 2.5 turns and my Halcyon is 4 (IIRC).

Yeah, my Sea Elite is 2.5 turns. It's a newer one. My Dive Rite is closer to 4.

Tamas:
Not trolling.....just speaking (writing) from experience from this forum and the responses on this board. Albeit I might be wrong, but it surely seems that way.
I thank you for your attempt at a helpful response. Please see the stickies at http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166 before trying to be helpful in this forum in the future :)

I couldn't find a DR manifold. Can someone provide a link?

Thanks,

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom