Halcyon Infinity for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sprange, really, should I post my dive log from last weekend? One of my dives, the temp was 48 degrees F, the other, it got up to a balmy 49 degrees... I recognize that is more like 9 degrees C but it's not too far off... I'd dropped off and PM'ed the OP bc I felt like further conversation wasn't going anywhere on the thread, until you started attacking again. What *is* your problem? You are attacking me and I feel like I've got to justify why I am qualified to answer. I dive every month in 45 degree water with guys and gals small to extra large who dive 30 lb Halcyon wings with 7 Mil Wetsuits (granted in a controlled environment - but one that is VERY risk averse). I dive a freshwater lake as discussed above, in steel doubles, in a 40 lb wing. I already discussed (or was it in the PM?) other experience diving doubles with the 40lb wing... but wait... I don't see you listing your dive resume in order for it to be acceptable for you to advise... why do I have to? I mean, really?

And was I supposed to look up all the threads out there on SB to know there was additional context? I did in fact look up his profile, and yours, and a few other people. I looked up yours to try and get some insight as to where the insecurity was coming from, that you had such an issue with someone having an opinion different from your own :confused:

Francis, sorry for the hijack, but it wasn't mine.

Edit: Sprange, I don't have any protected status, knock yourself out with the ignore function me!:D

Kate--can you please point out where I was strongly objecting to much of this thread's contents. I didn't like the idea of overfilled 120s, I suggested that the 40 was an okay choice but not a -poor- one, and I defended the dive shop as I have experience with them. In a another thread (started by the OP) I suggested other options included BP/W setups in the used market. Your first reply to me was negative, and virtually every one after. What I disagreed with was the 'you're going to die if you get a 40' message that was championed by Dan. And for the record I was advocating for providing CONTEXT to posts. For example I've been in the same diving environment as the OP, and I have enough wings to get a feel for how they perform. You filled in the blanks but not until much later.

Maybe you and Tortuga should have become censors for network TV, where you can get paid for your desire to restrict conversations :D

Maybe you should have stayed at Halcyon, where you can get paid for your desire to mention their products in unrelated conversation :D

That's the great thing about free speech - it applies to everyone, not just you

Maybe you should have stayed at Halcyon, where you can get paid for your desire to mention their products in unrelated conversation :D

That's the great thing about free speech - it applies to everyone, not just you
Absolutely true....but it was a thread with Halcyon in the subject line, and clearly the Halcyon system was what the OP wanted information on...I guess it's unfortunate you can't follow "related conversations".

I still think you and sprung should have your own thread ( your own table) to keep the conversation about only the things you guys think it should be about... :)

Clearly, you all feel passionate about this sport and your gear choices. I truly appreciate all the guidance and help I've received. I read every single PM and response and each time it prompted me to research matters further.

I am happy with my choices and feel they are educated enough at this point to warrant the expense. I look forward to dive the Caribbeans with the kit and won't forget to post a detailed report upon my return :)

No apologies needed for anything!

I think others might have said this already (I can't slog through all of the posts), but "infinity," unless I'm mistaken, means only a harness that is highly asjustable, so that it's a lot like many back inflate BCD's. The wings and plates at issue are all the same.

Buy a wing, Halcyon wings are great (many others will serve you just as well), buy a suitable backplate (based on your height and you diving needs), and thread a single piece of webbing through the plate to create your harness--and you'll be good to go.

I'm a Halcyon fan, but honestly they lost a few points from me in introducing the so-called "infinity" system--this is to balance their finances, not to balance buoyancy underwater. Keep this in mind.

I'm a new diver, getting OWD certified in two weeks in some lake in Ontario. Water will be at around 4C-10C. Equipment rental fee for certification was included in the course's price, but since I also booked a trip to PDC/Cozumel for January, I'd like to buy my own gear. Thanks to the help of countless scubaboard posters, I was able to get great critiques and feedback on the regs, computers and BC I was considering. Only thing I need a little more help with is the BC.

At first I was considering a normal back inflate, but everyone I spoke to and their mothers suggested I get a BP&W and never look back. After more research, it seems many rave about the Halcyon Infinity system.

https://dansdiveshop.ca/store/index...id=481&zenid=32ec1ae7cfe353815f0a349fd384a4e0

I simply want to ask whether this BC is accessible even to the newest divers, or whether it's to "high end"? I imagine most BC are straightfoward, the one we use in training are vest-style so it's difficult to know whether I'd enjoy a BP&W. I figure, I might as well invest now and enjoy the BC for a long time. I can afford it no problem, I just want to make sure dropping 860$ on a BC for a new diver is completely senseless. I'd like to avoid buyer's remorse.

Do you suggest I get the weighted single tank adapter, 30 or 40 lbs wings? I'm 6'1" 217lbs if it matters.

Thank you for your time and counsel :)

Kate--can you please point out where I was strongly objecting to much of this thread's contents.
Didn't say you were. Said you were attacking me (and other women) who posted.

I didn't like the idea of overfilled 120s,
Don't know where you said anything about this, don't care what you think about overfilled 120's, and most importantly, never responded to anything about it, not sure what you are talking about?!?

I suggested that the 40 was an okay choice but not a -poor- one, and I defended the dive shop as I have experience with them.
OK. And I expressed my opinion - nicely - that I thought the 30 would be a better choice. And i never once said the first word about the dive shop. So again, not sure what you talking about?!?!

In a another thread (started by the OP) I suggested other options included BP/W setups in the used market. Your first reply to me was negative, and virtually every one after.
My first reply to you was negative in this thread or some other thread? I don't even know what other thread you are talking about? My first reply "to you" in this thread was quite literally a question: "I am not sure what you meant that it is "not about the padding" - as I mentioned, the padding and the cinch seem to be the only difference between the Infinity and the Eclipse systems?!?!:" (and then quotes from the Halcyon website). This was in direct response to your statement that some of the answers that had been given were typical were typical of people who weren't familiar with the Infinity system. Is THAT what you are calling negative? If you took it that way, that's on you. And you said that wasn't directed at me in your next reply... we went back and forth, and eventually I even stated TO YOU "I was just wondering what you meant. I've actually tried the cinch system, I personally prefer the simplicity of the standard harness system. But I know people who do prefer the cinch, which was why I was pretty clear with my disclaimers about it being my opinion."

What I disagreed with was the 'you're going to die if you get a 40' message that was championed by Dan.
OK, so you disagreed with Dan's message. Whatever. I tried to provide some further context/explanation. But just because you disagreed with something didn't mean you had to get condescending and start attacking me personally, in post #39. "I swear some people like to argue for the sake of it. Kate--if you think that the small volume of fabric that may drag due to a slightly larger wing is an issue then you aren't aware of the larger weight swings (usually positive) that people experience." Up until that point I had stated my opinion - as such - and didn't call anyone out or put anyone down. You are the one who threw down the gauntlet.

And for the record I was advocating for providing CONTEXT to posts. For example I've been in the same diving environment as the OP, and I have enough wings to get a feel for how they perform. You filled in the blanks but not until much later
YOU believe context should be provided. OK, first of all, you didn't make that clear... if you go back and look just at your posts and mine in this thread - would you really have known that if you were me? And, in all honestly, IN THIS THREAD, you weren't providing a lot of it either. So you gave your context in ANOTHER THREAD - and you are asserting that excuses the need for you to have to do so in this one. Well, I've given plenty of context in other threads - you just didn't read them. So where is the line? You're advocating for context when you haven't bothered to look at my profile. It would getting boring as hell if everyone posted context every time. "I am qualified to make this comment because..." I mean, really? If you don't know whether someone is or is not qualified, AND you think it's important, ASK THEM! instead of being passive aggressive about it and ending up with a thread that goes on for 9 pages.

If I"d known that's what this was about, I would have posted my equipment and dive history from the first post, so this could have lasted a lot less long. And you know, I considered it. But, there was another thread a few months ago where someone questioned why a household of 2 divers had 6 wings (IIRC). So posting that I have 5 wings (all but one of which are or will be in active rotation) seemed a bit - obnoxious. And regarding dive history - that would be necessary for 50% of the non-pub posts. I mean, really? I know I keep saying that, but, it's just appropriate. I mean, what are our profiles for, if not that?

At the end of the day, I just didn't know there were blanks I was supposed to fill in... I would , however, invite anyone to go back and note who was put in a position (requested) to "fill in the blanks," and who wasn't.

Absolutely true....but it was a thread with Halcyon in the subject line, and clearly the Halcyon system was what the OP wanted information on...I guess it's unfortunate you can't follow "related conversations"

I guess it's unfortunate you can't follow that the only relationship between the OP's conversation and the Halycon Li-lo you introduced into the thread is that they both feature your favourite brand name

I still think you and sprung should have your own thread ( your own table) to keep the conversation about only the things you guys think it should be about... :)

So you want to 'censor' me from this thread (table) in other words... :)

I think you should have your own thread (your own table) to keep mentioning random Halcyon products as often as you like. That's probably not going to happen either, but that's okay - we're both free to think what we like. If you want to know what censorship actually is, come visit me in China (hint: it's not someone criticising you for what you posted)

I guess it's unfortunate you can't follow that the only relationship between the OP's conversation and the Halycon Li-lo you introduced into the thread is that they both feature your favourite brand name

So you want to 'censor' me from this thread (table) in other words... :)

I think you should have your own thread (your own table) to keep mentioning random Halcyon products as often as you like. That's probably not going to happen either, but that's okay - we're both free to think what we like. If you want to know what censorship actually is, come visit me in China (hint: it's not someone criticising you for what you posted)

Out of curiosity, why do you choose to live in a country like China where extreme censorship is the norm? I am aware many of the distinctions between the US form of democracy (corpoarate and state controlled media projects a choice where no real choice exists) and the comunist system ( now becoming more cpaitalistic every day) are dwindling.....but we do not get yanked out of our homes for making a public disapproval of a major government policy.... Why put up with this level of control?
Lastly, is is possible that because you live in a place where the controls are so defined, this may have caused you to prefer more controls to be applied to discussions on SB?

No, because it's a single tank wing
This is also what I read on the dive shop website : the Infinity system is sold with the ECLIPSE 30 or 40 lbs wing, marked as "single tank wing".
Is that correct ? Does that mean the OP wouldn't be able to dive doubles at all with an ECLIPSE wing ? Would he need to buy an adapter (if such a thing exists) ? A different wing such as the EVOLVE ? Or a whole new system ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom