Halcyon Infinity for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of the issue depends on how important you feel that it is for your wing to float at the surface if you ditch it. In some configurations (minimal weightbelt, ACB pockets with total of 20 lbs, stainless steel backplate and weighted STA) a 30 lb wing won't have enough buoyancy. The same wing however should easily provide enough lift for a single tank. Where it begins to become gray is when you're dealing with a thick wetsuit at depth. If you were planning on only diving a drysuit (which should have a lot less buoyancy swing) a 30lb Eclipse is a great choice, with the 40 being only slightly worse. I've had a 40lb wing in Cozumel with my 3mm wetsuit and I still had far better control than those on rental jackets and I sure as hell didn't feel much 'drag'. Anyway I'm done on this topic. I have a LOT of wings and to be honest I can't tell them apart. I did like the Halcyon Cinch system which is why I suggested it. Good luck.

I'm still confused about the 30lbs vs 40 lbs, and the dozen of PM I've received to help clarify the situation have ended confusing me more. I don't understand how so many people can feel so passionately AGAINST the 40lbs and for the 30lbs, while others feel the almost extreme opposite. Either people are convinced I will NEVER need 40 lbs and it is completely overkill and others say it'll be fine and will come in handy for the future.

The dive shop offered to order the 30lbs for me specifically so I doubt it's about keeping inventory to a minimum, since they'd be ordering it for me and ship it out immediately. But, for argument's sake, say they ARE biased for whatever reason, this still leaves the debate at 50/50 between people arguing this issue. I am too inexperienced to really grasp the nuances of what 30lbs vs 40lbs means, and you all appear convinced and passionate whenever you present arguments for or against it.

If wings were cheap I'd buy both, but at 400$ a pop or so, no way.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't own any Halcyon equipment. :mooner: But, as a female I find that the 30lbs. wing is perfect for a single tank (no matter the brand).

I don't own any Halcyon equipment. :mooner: But, as a female I find that the 30lbs. wing is perfect for a single tank (no matter the brand).

Hopefully all the warm water women who no doubt will be searching for this thread in the future will find this factoid useful considering that the original poster has very little in common with you.

Hopefully all the warm water women who no doubt will be searching for this thread in the future will find this factoid useful considering that the original poster has very little in common with you.

Well, I used to have man boobs, but now they're gone.

I think the question that is unanswered for a couple of posters is, what is the disadvantage of getting a slightly larger wing than I need (40 pounds)?

The answer is that it might not vent as easily, and it might not fill as evenly.

Exactly why I posted what I did.

If indeed that was your goal then adding more information would be useful (your exposure protection/etc), otherwise it comes across as a crass response especially considering your choice of 'smiley'.

Sorry, I decided I shouldn't have posted here but cannot completely delete the post.

Well okay, since I can't, I'll just make a short(er) post :)

OP: If I were you I would just calculate the amount of buoyancy compensation you will need for the gear/exposure protection you are going to be diving, vs. just taking what the shop says everyone gets. Why not just figure it out for you and your gear?

I dived with a rental 30# wing when it was much more lift than I needed, and the 17-18# wings that I have now are much more pleasant for me. I only need a small amount of air for buoyancy compensation, and that just feels more "controllable" in my small wings vs. a larger wing with a small(er) amount of air in it. So I would try to get the amount of "lost buoyancy compensation" you need for your cold water dives but no more.

Blue Sparkle, it requires you to leave 5 characters. Do what I do, leave:

Sorry, I decided I shouldn't have posted here but cannot completely delete the post.

Why did you decide you shouldn't post? BC there's at least one person who seems to think if you are woman you can't possibly have anything to contribute to the OP? :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom