Halcyon Explorer 9/21watt HID failure...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mobeeno,

Thanks for the video, I was captivated by the eeire feeling of those caves when the turtle skeleton appeared, and later the fresh death of yet another turtle.

The lights appear to be tethored onto a line from the boat, I guess a generator supplies the immense lighting required of all those bulbs.

Just amazing what the Calypso crew had back in the day. I wonder what type of equipment they use today, as they continue their exploration of our oceans.

Lynn,

So far, all has been good from Halcyon. I have worked with them in the past and they are stellar.

I can't believe this happened during my doubles class with Don, everything was videoed up to the light not working.

Don even annotates in the video, the phrase, poor primary light, when he sees me deploy the Halcyon Scout.

I was so sad, but rest assured I learned how to deploy the backup, couldn't imagine that light going out in some, deep, dark cave, oh my. :shocked2:

Mike did you use any lube on the light at all? I believe that you have to use a drop, but not a lot to keep all flowing with it. you do not want to glob on the lube, it will attract dirt, hairs etc... What do you think they are going to do for you ? Brand new light or replace the one that you have? Heck!! they have the new LED out now, tell them you want one of those and credit for the extra$$:D

Mike did you use any lube on the light at all? I believe that you have to use a drop, but not a lot to keep all flowing with it. you do not want to glob on the lube, it will attract dirt, hairs etc... What do you think they are going to do for you ? Brand new light or replace the one that you have? Heck!! they have the new LED out now, tell them you want one of those and credit for the extra$$:D

According to Halcyon instructions, you are not to use lube on the O-ring. I always kept an inspection prior to diving.

I dove the light the same in all my dives since purchasing it last April 09. I didn't deviate from that type of diving.

Keith, I don't know what will happen, all I know is Halcyon has it now.

What is so bizzare is that I was able to complete two one hour dives back to back with one hour surface interval, before it gave up on the end of the second dive.

The light is super robust and very well designed from my point of view.

Just got an email back from Corey Smith, Tech for Halcyon...

My light is in route back to it's owner, all was covered under warranty... I didn't pay anything :)

Now I know why I drink and dive Halcyon.... They seriouly rock.... :cool2:

Nuff said....

MG

Last edited:
That's great to hear Mike!!

Don't these two statements sort of contradict one another? Regardless, I'm glad to hear you're getting your light back without any drama.

Casey,

You know Murphy's law will apply to the best of engineering parts.... I'm sensationalizing their CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! :wink:

I have seen too many divers on this board post about rotten customer service from other dealers, wouldn't want to ever be on that side of the coin.

That's twice Halcyon has satisfied concerns that I had, and guess what, I came out not having to pay anything, could have gone really sour and it didn't!!

Casey, people on this board deserve to know defects in crafstmanship and customer service.

Will I continue with Halcyon? Absolutely.... :D

MG

Casey,

You know Murphy's law will apply to the best of engineering parts.... I'm sensationalizing their CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! :wink:

I have seen too many divers on this board post about rotten customer service from other dealers, wouldn't want to ever be on that side of the coin.

That's twice Halcyon has satisfied concerns that I had, and guess what, I came out not having to pay anything, could have gone really sour and it didn't!!

Casey, people on this board deserve to know defects in crafstmanship and customer service.

Will I continue with Halcyon? Absolutely.... :D

MG

What ever floats your boat, champ. :D

Back
Top Bottom